1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taylor Polynomial for f(x)=sec(x)

1. Nov 9, 2008 #1
    Hey all, so I need to find 4th degree taylor polynomial of f(x)=sec(x) centered at c=0

Can I just use substitution to find the answer since sec(x) = 1/cos(x) and I know the taylor series for cos(x). I guess, essentially, can I take the reciprocal of the taylor series of cosx to get sec(x). (in the same way for sin ((x^3)) you can just plug in x^3 wherever there is an x in the taylor series)

I know if this doesn't work I can keep taking the derivatives of secx and plug everything in and expand it out and all of that jazz. I did start to take the derivatives of sec(x) before I realized that it got excessively complicated and cumbersome.

So if my original idea doesn't work, what would be a better way to solve the problem without having to differentiate a whole bunch?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2008 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do not spam your questions -- ask them once.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?