Taylor series for cartesian circle equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the binomial series and its corollary, the expansion of √(1-x^2), for a physics course. The speaker is having trouble deriving the correct series and wonders if there is a trick they are missing. It is pointed out that the odd derivatives should be zero, but not the even ones. After fixing a mistake and getting the correct second derivative, the speaker thanks the other person for their help.
wil3
Hello. For a physics course, I need to often make use of the binomial series and it's corollary, the expansion of:

[tex] \sqrt{1-x^2} [/tex]

This probably sounds rather stupid, but for some reason, when I do a MacClaurin expansion of this series, I cannot seem to generate the correct series, which I know from texts to be:

[tex] 1-\frac{x^2}{2}-\frac{x^4}{8}-\frac{x^6}{16}-...- \frac{x^{2n}}{2^n}[/tex]

I keep on getting that the derivative evaluated at zero are zero, which, to me, suggests that there is some sort of trick to this series derivation that I am missing. Any advice?

Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hello wil3! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
wil3 said:
… I keep on getting that the derivative evaluated at zero are zero, which, to me, suggests that there is some sort of trick to this series derivation that I am missing.

(this is √(1 - x2))

the odd derviatives should be zero, but not the even ones …

show us how you got the second derivative :smile:

...oh my, well that's embarrassing. I got it now. Thanks for pointing that out.

I also fixed the LaTex- still getting used to the syntax.

Thank you very much

1. What is the cartesian circle equation?

The cartesian circle equation is a mathematical equation that describes a circle in the Cartesian coordinate system. It is written in the form of (x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2 = r^2, where (a,b) represents the center of the circle and r represents the radius.

2. What is a Taylor series?

A Taylor series is a way to represent a function as an infinite sum of terms, where each term is a derivative of the function evaluated at a specific point. It is useful for approximating functions and solving differential equations.

3. How is a Taylor series related to the cartesian circle equation?

The cartesian circle equation can be written in the form of a Taylor series, where the center and radius of the circle determine the coefficients of each term. This allows us to approximate the circle using the Taylor series expansion.

4. What is the significance of using a Taylor series for the cartesian circle equation?

Using a Taylor series allows us to approximate the cartesian circle equation and calculate the values of the function at any point, even if it is not explicitly defined. This can be useful in applications such as computer graphics and engineering.

5. How accurate is the approximation of a circle using a Taylor series?

The accuracy of the approximation depends on the number of terms used in the Taylor series. The more terms included, the closer the approximation will be to the actual circle. However, the series will only be an exact representation of the circle if an infinite number of terms are used.