Taylor Series of Log(z) around z=-1+i

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
HACR
Messages
35
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find the taylor series of Log(z) around z=-1+i.

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



So I have for the first few terms as
[tex] \frac{1}{2}*log(2)+\frac{3\pi i}{4}+\frac{z+1-i}{-1+i}-\frac{2(z+1-i)^{2}}{(-1+i)^{2}}+\frac{3(z+1-i)^{3}}{(-1+i)^{3}}-[/tex]

But the correct series seems to be
[tex] \frac{1}{2}log(2)+\frac{3\pi i}{4}-\Sigma (\frac {-1+i}{2})^{n}*({z+1-i})^{n}[/tex]
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint:
[tex] \frac{d}{d z} \mathrm{Log}(z) = \frac{1}{z}[/tex]
 
HACR said:

Homework Statement


Find the taylor series of Log(z) around z=-1+i.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



So I have for the first few terms as
[tex] \frac{1}{2}*log(2)+\frac{3\pi i}{4}+\frac{z+1-i}{-1+i}-\frac{2(z+1-i)^{2}}{(-1+i)^{2}}+\frac{3(z+1-i)^{3}}{(-1+i)^{3}}-[/tex]

But the correct series seems to be
[tex] \frac{1}{2}log(2)+\frac{3\pi i}{4}-\Sigma (\frac {-1+i}{2})^{n}*({z+1-i})^{n}[/tex]
Rationalize the denominator of [itex]\displaystyle \frac{1}{-1+i}\,.[/itex]
 
HACR;3683344 But the correct series seems to be [tex said:
\frac{1}{2}log(2)+\frac{3\pi i}{4}-\Sigma (\frac {-1+i}{2})^{n}*({z+1-i})^{n}
[/tex]

Had some trouble with this. Sorry if you saw my earlier post but anyway, try and learn how to check these things directly. That's easy: plot Log(z) and your series, say 20 terms or so, the imaginary parts for example. Superimpose them. If they agree, then your series is likely correct. I don't think yours is although you've not stated what the index starts at but you run it if you can to check it like the plot below. Here's the Mathtematica code. See that lil' red thing in there? Yeah, that's what the series should do if it's correct.

Code:
pp1 = ParametricPlot3D[
     {Re[z], Im[z], Im[myseries[z]]} /. 
       z -> z0 + r*Exp[I*t], {r, 0, 0.9}, 
     {t, 0, 2*Pi}, PlotStyle -> Red]

pp2 = ParametricPlot3D[
     {Re[z], Im[z], Im[Log[z]]} /. z -> r*Exp[I*t], 
     {r, 0.01, 2}, {t, -Pi, Pi}]

Show[{pp2, pp1}, PlotRange -> All]
 
Attachments
  • log power series.jpg
    log power series.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 496
Last edited:
HACR said:

Homework Statement


Find the taylor series of Log(z) around z=-1+i.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



So I have for the first few terms as
[tex] \frac{1}{2}*log(2)+\frac{3\pi i}{4}+\frac{z+1-i}{-1+i}-\frac{2(z+1-i)^{2}}{(-1+i)^{2}}+\frac{3(z+1-i)^{3}}{(-1+i)^{3}}-[/tex]
If you can't figure out your error from the hints above, show us how you got this result.
 
Thanks yes the index 2 and 3s should've been downstairs in fact. and rationalizing the -1+i terms do converge to the right series.