1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taylor Series, working backwards

1. Oct 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Okay, first there is an explanation of the Taylor Series equation. This I don't have a problem with. Then, we have this:

Consider the power series 2 - (2/3)x + (2/9)x^2 - (2/27)x^3. What rational
    function does this power series represent?

2. Relevant equations / 3. The attempt at a solution

I basically am just stuck at the end. I do understand how this function relates to the Taylor Series equation and wrote a detailed explanation of what parts represent a, i, f(a), f'(a), etc. However, after solving and presenting this information:

f(a) = 2
    f'(a) = -2/3
    f''(a) = 4/9
    f'''(a) = -12/27

I don't know how to sort of reverse it and find the relevant function. I know that the numerator is being multiplied by -1, then -2, then -3, and the denominator is being multiplied by 3, but how does one take that information and turn it into equations?

I don't want the answer - I just want a hint in the right direction, or a method by which I can find it. Thank you guys.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2012 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Think about what function you series represents. Start by writing your series as a sum which will help you recognize any common Maclaurin series in your sum.

4. Oct 30, 2012 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you put u=(-1/3)*x then it looks like your series is 2*(u^0+u^1+u^2+u^3+...). Look familiar, enuf hints?

5. Oct 31, 2012 #4
    It actually doesn't. I am still flummoxed. :|

6. Oct 31, 2012 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Look up "geometric series".

7. Nov 1, 2012 #6
    Okay, so - a geometric sequence is represented by (1+r+r^2+r^3+r^4....) and can be expressed in the form 1/(1-r), so basically I have 2(1+u+u^2+u^3+u^4), which can equivalently be expressed in the form 2/(1-u). U = 1/3x, so we end up with 2/(1-1/3x)?

The answer seems to check out so I'll go with it. Thanks very much!

8. Nov 1, 2012 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your series alternates signs. u=(1/3)x doesn't. How should you change it?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  9. Nov 1, 2012 #8
    Ahhh, you're right! Realized that as I was checking my work. It should be -1/3x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook