Teaching Math. in universities

In summary, the person speaking has been teaching IGCSE/IB Mathematics in Egypt and is looking to move on to teaching in universities, preferably in the USA. They have a BSC in Mathematics and are interested in pure Mathematics branches such as Calculus, Algebra, and Geometry. They also have excellent English skills and are currently teaching Math in English to students from other countries. They are not interested in pursuing a PhD but are talented in breaking down complicated concepts for students. Suggestions were made to apply for a teaching assistant position at British universities or to tutor for the British Open University in Egypt.
magoood
Hi,
I'm teaching IGCSE/IB Mathematics here in Egypt for a few years for middle/high students (BSC in Mathematics from the Faculty of Science - Mathematics section) but recently I started getting "financially" bored from teaching in schools and dealing with teens and I want to take it a step further to teaching in universities even under the title of an "assistant teacher".

What is the shortest path for me to do in USA for example to get away from teaching in schools (and hopefully earn more)? unfortunately I'm not too smart enough to invent a new theorem or something like that for a PHD but I'm talented enough in breaking harder/complicated concepts to manageable and easier chunks to understand making it enough, in my opinion, to get involved someway in the teaching workflow for 1st and 2nd year college students.

I'm more interested in pure Mathematics branches (Calculus, Algebra, Geometry, Linear Algebra...etc) & my English is superb as I'm actually teaching Math. in the medium of English to my students who are mostly from other countries (but living in Egypt for some reasons).

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well if you want to get your phd in pure mathematics you should. and you are a smart person. And also, you'll still be financially bored but it will pay off in the end just like med school.

Maybe try tutoring for the British Open University in Egypt?

http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/countries/Egypt.shtm

You might want to check if there are any opportunities in the UK - the UK government are always complaining about there being too few maths teachers... and we know what the GCSE is over here (!) That would still be teaching in schools... but the money might be better (?) Contact the British Council...

You can get "teaching assistant" posts at British universities, I had one for a while, you don't need a PhD:

http://www.jobs.ac.uk/cgi-bin/search.cgi?keywords=teaching+assistant&x=0&y=0

Last edited:

1. What makes teaching math in universities different from teaching math in other levels?

Teaching math in universities requires a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and theories, as well as the ability to apply them to real-world problems. The level of difficulty is higher and students are expected to have a strong foundation in math before entering university.

2. How do you keep students engaged and motivated in a math class?

Engagement and motivation in a math class can be fostered by using a variety of teaching methods such as hands-on activities, group work, and real-world applications. Creating a positive and supportive learning environment can also help students stay motivated.

3. What are some effective strategies for teaching complex mathematical topics?

Breaking down complex mathematical topics into smaller, more manageable chunks and providing visual aids and examples can be helpful in teaching these topics. Encouraging students to ask questions and engage in class discussions can also enhance their understanding of complex concepts.

4. How do you address the issue of students struggling with math anxiety?

Math anxiety can be addressed by creating a safe and non-judgmental learning environment, providing extra support to students who are struggling, and incorporating activities that promote positive attitudes towards math. It is also important to communicate with students and address any concerns or fears they may have about math.

5. What are some ways to assess student learning in a math class?

Assessment in a math class can include traditional methods such as quizzes and exams, as well as more creative methods like projects and presentations. It is important to provide a variety of assessment methods to cater to different learning styles and to ensure a comprehensive evaluation of student understanding.