1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math Teaching Math. in universities

1. Mar 5, 2012 #1
    Hi,
    I'm teaching IGCSE/IB Mathematics here in Egypt for a few years for middle/high students (BSC in Mathematics from the Faculty of Science - Mathematics section) but recently I started getting "financially" bored from teaching in schools and dealing with teens and I wanna take it a step further to teaching in universities even under the title of an "assistant teacher".

What is the shortest path for me to do in USA for example to get away from teaching in schools (and hopefully earn more)? unfortunately I'm not too smart enough to invent a new theorem or something like that for a PHD but I'm talented enough in breaking harder/complicated concepts to manageable and easier chunks to understand making it enough, in my opinion, to get involved someway in the teaching workflow for 1st and 2nd year college students.

I'm more interested in pure Mathematics branches (Calculus, Algebra, Geometry, Linear Algebra...etc) & my English is superb as I'm actually teaching Math. in the medium of English to my students who are mostly from other countries (but living in Egypt for some reasons).

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2012 #2
    Well if you want to get your phd in pure mathematics you should. and you are a smart person. And also, you'll still be financially bored but it will pay off in the end just like med school.

4. Mar 6, 2012 #3
    Maybe try tutoring for the British Open University in Egypt?

http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/countries/Egypt.shtm

You might want to check if there are any opportunities in the UK - the UK government are always complaining about there being too few maths teachers... and we know what the GCSE is over here (!) That would still be teaching in schools... but the money might be better (?) Contact the British Council...

You can get "teaching assistant" posts at British universities, I had one for a while, you don't need a PhD:

http://www.jobs.ac.uk/cgi-bin/search.cgi?keywords=teaching+assistant&x=0&y=0

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook