Teaching Thermofluids to electronics engineering students

In summary, this semester I'm teaching a thermofluids course to students with a major in electronics engineering. The subject covers thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, and heat transfer. The motivation is to help the students to solve thermofluid problems that arise in their field. For example, the design of a cooling system for a microprocessor. I'm finding difficulty in finding a pool of problems that is tailored to electronics engineering students. Most texts I'm working with target mechanical engineers and sometimes nuclear engineers. I wonder if someone can recommend a text or a resource that have material and/or problems tailored to electronics engineering.My search led me to a book by Y. Cengel et al. Heat transfer for
Useful nucleus
This semester I'm teaching a thermofluids course to students with a major in electronics engineering. The subject covers thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, and heat transfer. The motivation is to help the students to solve thermofluid problems that arise in their field. For example, the design of a cooling system for a microprocessor.

I'm finding difficulty in finding a pool of problems that is tailored to electronics engineering students. Most texts I'm working with target mechanical engineers and sometimes nuclear engineers. I wonder if someone can recommend a text or a resource that have material and/or problems tailored to electronics engineering.

Science news on Phys.org
Useful nucleus said:
I'm finding difficulty in finding a pool of problems that is tailored to electronics engineering students. Most texts I'm working with target mechanical engineers and sometimes nuclear engineers. I wonder if someone can recommend a text or a resource that have material and/or problems tailored to electronics engineering.

You are having trouble finding textbooks because the subject matter is outside the typical EE curriculum. I suspect that EE's don't typically design these things, either. That said, I commend your attempt to broaden your student's expertise. Can you teach the subjects as analogs to Gauss's law? You have a field with sources and sinks, transport into and out of control volumes, etc. etc.

An alternative would be to keep the discussion super-simple and simply consider the transfer of energy into and out of various components.

Likes Useful nucleus
You may be able to at least find relevant electronics-related examples you can present in class in books such as

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1439814678/?tag=pfamazon01-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0070266999/?tag=pfamazon01-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471524514/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Our library at work has these, although all of the copies are checked out so I couldn't even flip through them. Apparently some engineers around here find them useful. Hopefully your university library has these and others that are similar.

Jason

Likes Useful nucleus
Andy and Jason, thank you very much for your suggestions. Your suggestions and further search opened my eyes to how I can make this subject useful for electronics engineers. In particular, I understand now that minimal amount of Fluid mechanics is needed. Just the amount that serves as pre-requisite for convective heat transfer. Meanwhile, heat transfer should be more emphasize and spread over 40% or more of the course because it is really the key thing when it comes to the thermal management of electronics.

Although my school library does not have access to the books suggested by Jason, I found out a chapter (#15) in the text by Y. Cengel et al on Heat transfer that is devoted to cooling electronics. I would recommend this chapter (and its references) for any instructor in my situation.

1. What is thermofluids and why is it important for electronics engineering students to learn?

Thermofluids is a branch of science that deals with the study of heat transfer and fluid mechanics. It is important for electronics engineering students to learn because it provides them with the necessary knowledge and skills to understand and design thermal management systems, which are crucial for the proper functioning of electronic devices.

2. How does thermofluids relate to electronics engineering?

Thermofluids is closely related to electronics engineering as it involves the study of heat transfer and fluid mechanics, which are essential for designing and optimizing electronic devices. Understanding thermofluids principles enables electronics engineering students to effectively manage the heat generated by electronic components and ensure their proper functioning.

3. What are some key topics covered in a thermofluids course for electronics engineering students?

Some key topics covered in a thermofluids course for electronics engineering students may include thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, heat transfer, thermal management, and energy conversion. Students may also learn about different types of heat exchangers, cooling techniques, and thermal analysis methods.

4. How can learning thermofluids benefit electronics engineering students in their future careers?

Learning thermofluids can benefit electronics engineering students in their future careers in various ways. It provides them with the necessary knowledge and skills to effectively design and optimize thermal management systems for electronic devices. It also helps them understand the principles of energy conversion and how to improve the efficiency of electronic devices.

5. Are there any real-world applications of thermofluids in electronics engineering?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of thermofluids in electronics engineering. Some examples include designing cooling systems for computer processors, optimizing the thermal management of electric vehicles, and improving the efficiency of solar panels. Additionally, many electronic devices, such as smartphones and laptops, use thermofluid principles to manage heat and prevent overheating.