Technical drawing and aerospace engineering?

I took architectural drawing... and I took technical drawing in high school. I took mechanical drawing for a second time in college. I never used any of it in the real world.In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's aversion to technical drawing and their concerns about how much of it is involved in aerospace engineering. They also discuss the possibility of becoming a rocket scientist without being skilled in technical drawing. The other person suggests that CAD systems will be used extensively in aerospace engineering and encourages the speaker to try using 3-D CAD tools to get motivated. They also mention that formal drawing by hand is no longer used in the real world and recommend looking for a free 3-D mechanical CAD tool online.
physics user1
I have to choose what to do at the university and I'm considering aerospace engineering, the problem is that I totally hate technical drawing, I can't help it, I don't want to do it, I am currently doing it here at high school and it's like hell, how much technical drawing is there in aerospace engineering? Can I graduate without It? Is technical drawing so important in aerospace engineering? Can I become a rocket scientist without It?

Physics news on Phys.org
Cozma Alex said:
I have to choose what to do at the university and I'm considering aerospace engineering, the problem is that I totally hate technical drawing, I can't help it, I don't want to do it, I am currently doing it here at high school and it's like hell, how much technical drawing is there in aerospace engineering? Can I graduate without It? Is technical drawing so important in aerospace engineering? Can I become a rocket scientist without It?
Are you using a CAD system in your high school class? If so, which one, and does it include 3-D tools?

You will definitely be working with CAD a lot in AE, and in most ME-related fields. What is it that you don't like about it? Have you used a 3-D printer yet for any projects? How about a CNC mill? Maybe that will help you to get motivated to enjoy what you can do with 3-D CAD and fabrication...

Likes physics user1
There are many parts of Aero Engineering that do not require much CAD-type drawing. But they might require diagram drawings. Aerodynamics and control laws are not like structural work or electrical diagrams.

Likes physics user1
berkeman said:
Are you using a CAD system in your high school class? If so, which one, and does it include 3-D tools?

You will definitely be working with CAD a lot in AE, and in most ME-related fields. What is it that you don't like about it? Have you used a 3-D printer yet for any projects? How about a CNC mill? Maybe that will help you to get motivated to enjoy what you can do with 3-D CAD and fabrication...

No, hand drawing... they made me draw in perspective... basically I hate drawing by hand, I have to re do my work if I make a little mistake and start all over again, it takes me lots of time for actually making a couple of lines, and I am very awkward with manual jobs like drawing, technical or not, my graphics is really bad, my drawings looks like are done by a 7 years old guy, I never tried to make drawing at computer, (they don't make us do it, just by hand) I think it would be better but still is a subject that I don't really like... that makes me feeling bad about aerospace engineering

Cozma Alex said:
No, hand drawing... they made me draw in perspective... basically I hate drawing by hand, I have to re do my work if I make a little mistake and start all over again, it takes me lots of time for actually making a couple of lines, and I am very awkward with manual jobs like drawings, technical or not, graphics is also bad, my drawing looks like are done by a 7 years old guy, I never tried to make drawing at computer, (they don't make us do it, just by hand) I think it would be better but still is a subject that I don't really like... that makes me feeling bad about aerospace engineering
You might actually have an advantage. The more you hate drawing by hand, the more you will probably love CAD systems. It's the people who are great at doing it by hand who are disappointed when their skill becomes irrelevant.

Likes billy_joule, berkeman and physics user1
Cozma Alex said:
No, hand drawing... they made me draw in perspective... basically I hate drawing by hand, I have to re do my work if I make a little mistake and start all over again, it takes me lots of time for actually making a couple of lines, and I am very awkward with manual jobs like drawings, technical or not, graphics is also bad, my drawing looks like are done by a 7 years old guy, I never tried to make drawing at computer, (they don't make us do it, just by hand) I think it would be better but still is a subject that I don't really like... that makes me feeling bad about aerospace engineering
Yeah, hand-drawing can be a pain. It's a good skill to have in mechanical-type fields, but really you would be doing most of your drawings with CAD tools in the real world. I can sketch schematics for my EE work, but most of my circuit design work involves schematic capture tools on a PC.

Maybe find a free 3-D mechanical CAD tool on the web and download it. Especially if it can generate the files used by 3-D printers, it might help to get you motivated to get better at drawing and fabricating... :smile:

Likes physics user1
Thanks for the advices :)

Cozma Alex said:
No, hand drawing... they made me draw in perspective... basically I hate drawing by hand, I have to re do my work if I make a little mistake and start all over again, it takes me lots of time for actually making a couple of lines, and I am very awkward with manual jobs like drawing, technical or not, my graphics is really bad, my drawings looks like are done by a 7 years old guy, I never tried to make drawing at computer, (they don't make us do it, just by hand) I think it would be better but still is a subject that I don't really like... that makes me feeling bad about aerospace engineering
Formal drawing by hand does not exist anymore in the real world and hasn't for 20+ years. I took mechanical drawing in high school in the '90s and I'm glad I did for the crossover knowledge, but drawing by hand is terrible.

Also, even 20 years ago, the actual drawing was a trade, not engineering. So either way (today or with a time machine), you almost certainly will not be doing any formal hand drawing.

Likes physics user1

1. What is the purpose of technical drawing in aerospace engineering?

Technical drawing, also known as drafting, is an essential tool in aerospace engineering as it allows engineers to create detailed and accurate visual representations of aircraft components, systems, and structures. These drawings serve as a communication tool between engineers and other team members, as well as manufacturers, to ensure that the design is correctly interpreted and produced.

2. What are the common tools used in technical drawing for aerospace engineering?

The most commonly used tools in technical drawing for aerospace engineering include pencils, rulers, protractors, compasses, and specialized drafting software. These tools are used to create precise and accurate drawings of aircraft components and systems, as well as to annotate and dimension the drawings for manufacturing purposes.

3. How important is accuracy in technical drawing for aerospace engineering?

Accuracy is crucial in technical drawing for aerospace engineering as even the smallest error can have significant consequences on the functionality and safety of an aircraft. Engineers must ensure that their drawings are precise and follow industry standards to guarantee the successful production and operation of an aircraft.

4. What are the different types of technical drawings used in aerospace engineering?

The three main types of technical drawings used in aerospace engineering are orthographic, isometric, and perspective drawings. Orthographic drawings provide a two-dimensional representation of an object, isometric drawings show a three-dimensional view of an object, and perspective drawings depict a realistic view of an object with depth and proportion.

5. How does technical drawing contribute to the design and development of aircraft?

Technical drawing plays a crucial role in the design and development of aircraft by providing engineers with a visual representation of their ideas and designs. It allows for better communication and collaboration between team members and ensures that the final product meets safety and performance standards. Technical drawing also aids in identifying and solving design problems before the manufacturing process, saving time and resources.