Technological development required for uploading

• Thread starter CuriousArv
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential for humans to upload their consciousness into a virtual world, potentially achieving immortality and the ability to transform into any object. The technology involved would require advancements in nanotechnology and artificial intelligence, but the feasibility of such a concept is questioned. The conversation also addresses concerns about the credibility of sources and the need for further research.
CuriousArv
..just extrapolating from augmented reality..the next step would be uploading..it offers the prospect of immortality, the ability to now inhabit two worlds..the virtual and physical...the ability for light-speed travel..if your mind can be faxed around and combined with intelligent nano-assemblers and the equivalent of a 'USB transducer'..if people understand what I mean, the ability to transform into any machine, any object (just like the duex ex machina 'face' in the matrix movie)...so that people can have fun in the physical reality by becoming anything... Perhaps they might one day even be able to mess around with space-time...

Certainly in the virtual reality..inventing any kind of reality for yourself is possible..

If I were a computer scientist or engineer, I would probably be striving towards developing technologies that would enable this. What would be the kind of software and hardware techs that would need to be worked on?

Physics news on Phys.org
If nanotech scanners/ 'brain rebuilders' were introduced into the brain, they would float around, scanning the topology and then would creating an arificial copy in place and destroy the original or simply reinforce the original in order to render it indestructible..

if this were done all over the brain and an additional component were added that served as an interface to the virtual world..you would gotten there..

This is all assuming consciousness is purely product of biology..

ok..maybe this topic belongs in the AI forum...how do you shift it there?

Last edited:
This sounds like a pretty far fetched idea.

I'm not sure people would want to replace their brains with artificial intelligence and I am sure that nobody could even begin to tell you what hardware specs would be required to do such a thing anyways.

I think you need to lay off the science fiction for a while. ;)

-Phil

Right..yeah I can easily see how this could seem crackpot like..

just read about uploading and read about this
www.natasha.cc/primo.htm

and thought it sounded cool.

CuriousArv said:
Right..yeah I can easily see how this could seem crackpot like..

just read about uploading and read about this
www.natasha.cc/primo.htm

and thought it sounded cool.

This looks a lot like futuristic scientific theory. In the 50's they envisioned flying cars by the 80's.

I wouldn't put much stock in this. Nanotechnology is nowhere near where it needs to be to do this sort of thing. Also, the author seems to have a misconception of what "AI" actually is. So the author makes up "AGI." Then they define "AGI" how AI really is.. This doesn't give the paper much credibility.. The person doesn't even understand what AI is.

I suggest you look at where nanotechnology and AI research is right now and where they predict it will be in the future so that you can draw your own conclusions. I wouldn't use sites like this in your research though if I were you. Maybe you should look for some MIT white papers or some other scientific community publishing.

Last edited:
Please be careful not to get so close to crackpottery in the general technical forums, CuriousArv. That is generally not permitted here on the PF. I'm going to move this to General Discussion, and run it past the other Mentors to be sure it's still okay to leave up in GD.

FAQ: Technological development required for uploading

1. What is meant by "uploading" in terms of technological development?

"Uploading" refers to the process of transferring a human consciousness or mind into a digital form, often for the purpose of achieving immortality or enhancing cognitive abilities.

2. What technological advancements are necessary for successful uploading?

Successful uploading requires a combination of advancements in neuroscience, computer science, and artificial intelligence. This includes understanding the brain's intricate workings, developing advanced brain-computer interfaces, and creating sophisticated algorithms capable of replicating human thought processes.

3. Will uploading be possible in the near future?

At this time, uploading is still a theoretical concept and there is no clear timeline for its development. While there have been some advancements in related fields, there are still many technological and ethical barriers that need to be addressed before uploading can become a reality.

4. How will uploading impact society?

The potential impact of uploading on society is a topic of ongoing debate. Some argue that it could lead to significant advancements in medicine, technology, and human capabilities. Others express concerns about the loss of physical bodies and the potential for inequality between those who can afford to upload and those who cannot.

5. Is uploading ethical?

The ethical implications of uploading are complex and often subjective. Some argue that it could offer a way to extend human life and alleviate suffering, while others worry about the potential loss of individual identity and the blurring of lines between humans and machines. Ultimately, the decision of whether uploading is ethical will depend on individual beliefs and values.

Back