1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Telescopic sum issues, cant get Sk

1. Nov 13, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find a formula for the nth partial sum of the series and use it to find the series' sum if the series converges

2. Relevant equations
    3/(1*2*3) + 3,/(2*3*4) + 3/(3*4*5) +......+ 3/n(n+1)(n+2)
    3. The attempt at a solution
    the first try, i tried using partial fraction which equals to A/(n) + B/(n+1) + C/(n+2). which made me get (3/2n - 3/n+1 + 3/2(n+2). Sn= (3/2 - 3/2 +3/6) + (3/4 - 1 + 3/8) + (3/6 - 3/4 + 3/10) + (3/8 - 3/5 + 3/12). i cant cancel it correctly. please help
    i saw the correct working which the partial fraction suppose to be A/(n)(n+1) - B/(n+1)(n+2). didnt make sense to me because i thought in partial fraction we are suppose to split all the parts? and i tried that way and i would get A/(n)(n+1) + B/(n+1)(n+2) instead of A/(n)(n+1) - B/(n+1)(n+2). (couldnt get negative b) please help, have been trying to solve this for days.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2015 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Suggestions: (i) forget the '3' in the numerator; you can always put it back after you have done the summation; (ii) write ##\frac{1}{n(n+2)}## in partial fractions, then multiply by ##1/(n+1)## afterward.

4. Nov 13, 2015 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

First off, you need more parentheses. When you write 3/2n, that means ##\frac 3 2 n##, not ##\frac3 {2n}## as you intended. When you write 3/n + 1, that's even worse, as it means ##\frac 3 n + 1##
    You can split it however you want. I wouldn't have thought of this approach, but working it through, it makes sense.

Decompose by setting ##\frac{1}{n(n + 1)(n + 2)} = \frac{A}{n(n + 1)} + \frac{B}{(n + 1)(n + 2)}##. After you find A and B, you will have a series that telescopes nicely.
    Note: to simplify things you can take out a factor of 3 from all of the terms in the original problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted