Telling your professors what your major is

In summary, some professors may react negatively to a student's major choice, but this is very uncommon.

Lavabug said:
How did he make it through introductory equilibrium chemistry problems?

A physics sophomore classmate didn't know how to complete the square when we had to use them for Laplace transform problems, does that speak for all physicists?

It's okay he is a physics student, he is known for messy math.

Physics news on Phys.org

I've always thought that a good response an engineer might give to mathematicians and physicists is that "at least we're doing something practical which will directly affect society", but I've never heard such a response from an engineer (my own engineer sister included, when I was playfully making fun of her). Instead they just tend to get butt-hurt and keep on insisting that engineering is the hardest of all.

Dembadon said:
Hi, HeLiXe. :smile:
Hiii Dembadon :biggrin::biggrin:

Dembadon said:
I would try not to sweat it, if you can. I haven't had this happen to me (yet), but I think it would be difficult to figure out why she responded the way she did. Even if you were to ask her, she might not be truthful with her answer. There are many possibilities, not all of which are bad; she might be sad that she probably won't have the opportunity to work with a bright student in the future. :wink:

All we can do is speculate, which is something I'm learning to avoid like the plague. :smile:
Yes you are right it is not good to speculate...I was in her class again yesterday and she said something terribly rude to me. It is unfortunate because I held high opinions of her the entire term and here at the very end that is totally ruined -_- Now I will just have to find another prof for ChemII-Organic Chem II

Lavabug said:
IMO, downtalking other majors is really immature and shows how little humility some people have. The biggest downtalkers (students) of engineering, math and "book-learning sciences" (med, bio, chem) at my faculty are still stuck with first year courses after 3 years... Some disappeared before the end of the year. People just talk bullsh*t.

Thanks Lavabug :) Your last sentence is especially true :D plus I am a little peeved at the moment so I enjoyed your comments lol

HeLiXe said:
Hiii Dembadon :biggrin::biggrin:

Yes you are right it is not good to speculate...I was in her class again yesterday and she said something terribly rude to me. It is unfortunate because I held high opinions of her the entire term and here at the very end that is totally ruined -_- Now I will just have to find another prof for ChemII-Organic Chem II

I'm sorry to hear that. :frown: I hope you find someone who appreciates and supports your interests.

Thanks Dembadon :)