Temperature distribution of neutrino background radiation

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Amir Livne
Messages
38
Reaction score
0
Hello.

I wonder - is the CνB energy curve expected to follow the Boltzmann distribution?
In the 2 seconds neutrinos were in equilibrium with matter, did they bounce off enough to even out the energy?

I'm asking because a back-of-envelope computation gives cosmic neutrino speeds of ~0.09c, whereas neutrinos from solar events, geoneutrinos, supernovas etc. travel so close to c we can't distinguish them.

So is there a clear distinction, CνB radiation is slow, and modern neutrinos are fast?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't you need to know the rest mass of the neutrino to solve for its velocity?
 
Amir Livne said:
Hello.

I wonder - is the CνB energy curve expected to follow the Boltzmann distribution?
In the 2 seconds neutrinos were in equilibrium with matter, did they bounce off enough to even out the energy?

I'm asking because a back-of-envelope computation gives cosmic neutrino speeds of ~0.09c, whereas neutrinos from solar events, geoneutrinos, supernovas etc. travel so close to c we can't distinguish them.

So is there a clear distinction, CνB radiation is slow, and modern neutrinos are fast?

You're probably right. Today neutrinos can go a long time without interacting with anything.