Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Temperature distrubution in a cooling fin (result interpretation)

1. Jul 3, 2011 #1
    I am analyzing the lengthwise temperature distribution in a cooling fin (length: 30mm, width: 10mm, the tip is assumed to be adiabatic, Biot number is smaller than 0.1).

When I try to calculate the dimensionless temperature distribution (see calculation below), I obtain a curve which has a minimum at about 2/3 of the fin length and increases again after that (see attachment).

I don't understand why the temperature should increase again towards the tip of the fin. Using Ansys to model the fin I obtained the other curve in the graph, which shows decreasing temperatures towards the tip of the fin (and makes more sense to me).
    I don't know whether I am making a mistake in my calculations, or whether there is a simple explanation.
    Any advice would be appreciated!

calculation:

distribution "theta" (x) = cosh(m*(1-x/L)) / cosh(m) ,

where m= sqrt [ ( P*L*h) / (A*k) ]

L=length
    P=perimeter
    A=area
    h=heat transfer coefficient
    k=thermal conductivity

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2011 #2

uart

Science Advisor

Pretty sure you've made a mistake in evaluating the above. For "m" a constant that expression definitely achieves its minimum when x = L.

4. Jul 5, 2011 #3
    Thanks for the suggestion uart, I'm not sure why it wasn't working, but it does now:)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook