1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Temperature distrubution in a cooling fin (result interpretation)

1. Jul 3, 2011 #1
    I am analyzing the lengthwise temperature distribution in a cooling fin (length: 30mm, width: 10mm, the tip is assumed to be adiabatic, Biot number is smaller than 0.1).

When I try to calculate the dimensionless temperature distribution (see calculation below), I obtain a curve which has a minimum at about 2/3 of the fin length and increases again after that (see attachment).

I don't understand why the temperature should increase again towards the tip of the fin. Using Ansys to model the fin I obtained the other curve in the graph, which shows decreasing temperatures towards the tip of the fin (and makes more sense to me).
    I don't know whether I am making a mistake in my calculations, or whether there is a simple explanation.
    Any advice would be appreciated!

calculation:

distribution "theta" (x) = cosh(m*(1-x/L)) / cosh(m) ,

where m= sqrt [ ( P*L*h) / (A*k) ]

L=length
    P=perimeter
    A=area
    h=heat transfer coefficient
    k=thermal conductivity

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2011 #2

uart

Science Advisor

Pretty sure you've made a mistake in evaluating the above. For "m" a constant that expression definitely achieves its minimum when x = L.

4. Jul 5, 2011 #3
    Thanks for the suggestion uart, I'm not sure why it wasn't working, but it does now:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook