Temperature effect on fermi level

In summary, the formation of holes in a semiconductor due to the introduction of acceptors causes a shift in the position of the fermi level. This is because the acceptor ions are ionized at room temperature, leading to an increase in holes at the valence band. This results in a higher probability of finding a half-filled energy level at a lower energy than the conduction band edge. The fermi level is a measure of the probability of occupancy of energy states, not just electrons. This clarifies the role of holes in the shift of the fermi level. The type of semiconductor, whether extrinsic or intrinsic, also affects the variation of the fermi level with temperature.
vigi04
if fermi level is defined for 0K, then how does it vary in a semiconductor with temperature.
also, why will the formation of holes affect the position of fermi level(by introducing acceptors). have i misunderstood something? please clear my doubt.

Physics news on Phys.org
vigi04 said:
if fermi level is defined for 0K, then how does it vary in a semiconductor with temperature.
Extrinsic or intrinsic semiconductor?
also, why will the formation of holes affect the position of fermi level(by introducing acceptors). have i misunderstood something? please clear my doubt.
Suppose you dope the sample with acceptor atoms and these are ionised at room temperature. So what happens in the band diagram? You start to see more holes at the valence band due to electrons being excited fom Ev to Ea (where Ea is the energy level of the ionised acceptor ions). So what does that tell you about where you are most likely to find a half-filled energy level? Would it still be at Eg?

Defennder said:
Extrinsic or intrinsic semiconductor?
Suppose you dope the sample with acceptor atoms and these are ionised at room temperature. So what happens in the band diagram? You start to see more holes at the valence band due to electrons being excited fom Ev to Ea (where Ea is the energy level of the ionised acceptor ions). So what does that tell you about where you are most likely to find a half-filled energy level? Would it still be at Eg?
thanks. I've realized that fermi level is the probability of occupancy of energy states. initially i thought it was the probability of occupancy of electrons. that is why i could'nt understand the role of holes in the shift in position of fermi level.
and for that first question, i meant extrinsic.but now i understand. thanx.

1. What is the Fermi level?

The Fermi level is the energy level at which there is a 50% probability of an electron being occupied in a material at absolute zero temperature. It is a measure of the highest energy state that an electron can occupy in a material.

2. How does temperature affect the Fermi level?

As the temperature of a material increases, the Fermi level also increases. This is due to an increase in the average energy of the electrons in the material, causing them to occupy higher energy states.

3. What is the relationship between temperature and the Fermi level?

The relationship between temperature and the Fermi level is directly proportional. This means that as temperature increases, the Fermi level also increases, and as temperature decreases, the Fermi level decreases.

4. Why is the Fermi level important in materials science?

The Fermi level is important in materials science because it helps determine the electrical and thermal properties of a material. It also plays a role in understanding the electronic band structure and conductivity of a material.

5. How does the Fermi level affect the behavior of electrons in a material?

The Fermi level determines the energy level at which electrons can occupy in a material. As the Fermi level changes with temperature, so does the energy available to the electrons. This can affect the conductivity, resistivity, and other properties of the material.