Temperature inside an enclosed space

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference in temperature between a shaded outdoor area and an unshaded area, as well as the concept of a greenhouse effect in relation to roofing materials. The question of what material would be best to use for shading an outdoor air conditioning unit is also brought up. Finally, a query is posed about the potential difference in temperature between a thermal conductor and a thermal insulator when exposed to sunlight. The conversation raises the possibility of using reflective materials to reduce heat in outdoor spaces and questions the effectiveness of shading an air conditioning unit.
black hole 123
its summer where i live and the ceiling space gets extremely hot, much hotter than ambient outdoor.

under a shade outdoor, the air temp beneath shade will be colder than air temp in sunlight. yet in a space with no air flow, the temp is always hotter from my experience. why is this? this isn't a greenhouse like inside a car where infrared comes through and becomes trapped. does microwave or longer wavelength pierce the ceiling and get trapped?

i want to shade my air con outdoor unit, what material is best used for this? want to reflect as much sunlight as possible

Science news on Phys.org
black hole 123 said:
this isn't a greenhouse like inside a car where infrared comes through and becomes trapped

Yes it is a form of greenhouse. Regardless of the roof type, concrete / slate tiles, corrugated iron, etc Those materials get hot and
reradiate IR (heat) into the roof-space and because that heat can't escape ( even worse if there is ceiling insulation ... batts, insulfluff
etc it will heat up even more

Likes vanhees71
black hole 123 said:
under a shade outdoor, the air temp beneath shade will be colder than air temp in sunlight
Not necessarily..
The shade blocks the sunlight from you, or anything within the shade. Thus there is less of direct heating from solar to a surface.
Air moves around, so an exchange of air from outside the shade with the air within the shade will occur.
It is true though that the air temperature closer to a surface in a shade will be cooler than the air closer to a surface in direct sunlight.

Have you calculated the amount of "saving" you would expect if you shade your air conditioner?

ok, i didn't know about the reradiate in IR wavelength.

i have another question. if i put the same aluminium foil on a thermal conductor and a thermal insulator, and place both under the sun, suspended above ground with aluminium facing upwards, after many hours will the air beneath the thermal conductor be hotter or the same as for the thermal insulator? sorry if this sounds really dumb...

1. What is the ideal temperature for an enclosed space?

The ideal temperature for an enclosed space depends on the purpose of the space and personal preferences. Generally, a temperature between 68-72 degrees Fahrenheit is considered comfortable for most people.

2. How does the temperature inside an enclosed space affect energy consumption?

The temperature inside an enclosed space plays a significant role in energy consumption. Higher temperatures often result in higher energy consumption, while lower temperatures can lead to energy savings. It is recommended to keep the temperature at a moderate level to balance comfort and energy efficiency.

3. What factors can affect the temperature inside an enclosed space?

Several factors can affect the temperature inside an enclosed space, including the outdoor temperature, insulation, air circulation, and the use of heating or cooling systems. Other factors such as the number of occupants and electronic devices can also impact the temperature.

4. How can I regulate the temperature inside an enclosed space?

The most common way to regulate the temperature inside an enclosed space is by using heating or cooling systems. These systems can be controlled manually or automatically through a thermostat. Other ways to regulate temperature include adjusting insulation, opening windows for natural ventilation, and using fans to circulate air.

5. What are the potential health risks of extreme temperatures inside an enclosed space?

Extreme temperatures inside an enclosed space can have various health risks, including heat exhaustion, dehydration, and hypothermia. It can also aggravate existing health conditions such as respiratory issues and heart problems. It is essential to maintain a comfortable and safe temperature inside enclosed spaces to prevent these health risks.