Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tennis Ball- Is this possible?

1. Sep 16, 2008 #1
    Please see video link below. Want to hear some opinions on whether this would be possible. Your thoughts???

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=yXL-gtksKY8

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2008 #2

rcgldr

Homework Helper

4. Sep 16, 2008 #3
    Jeff,
    Yeah I know it is a commercial. What I would like to know is if the members here think it would be possible for this to actually happen.

5. Sep 16, 2008 #4
    No it can't. The tennis ball would be destroyed before it did any significant amount damage to the ground. If you don't believe me, build a tennis ball cannon.

6. Sep 16, 2008 #5
    ...yes, and the racquet as well.

7. Sep 16, 2008 #6
    are we forgeting our quantum mechanics here? Anything is possible because EVERYTHING is based on probablility. With the uncertainty principle, it is possible that all the atoms in the tennis ball gain sufficient energy to break the ground like that, then get rid of the engery. Thanks to quantum mechanics, anything is possible....

8. Sep 16, 2008 #7

rcgldr

Homework Helper

If you replace the hard clay with mud or sand, or a mixture of clay and water, it's possible. You could sprinkle dry clay on top of the "mud" to make it look realistic. I don't know if the video was done using "mud" and possibly a "heavy tennis ball" shot from a cannon, or if it was all computer generated.

9. Sep 16, 2008 #8
    If you would build a tennis ball out of iron, sure.

Otherwise as others have already stated it is not possible due to the characteristics of a tennis ball.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?