1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension At Two Points With Acceleration

1. Mar 11, 2009 #1
    Hi, I am here to ask a check to my work, I think that I have the idea down but I would like if someone could look over my concept and see if I am seeing things right as on my homework I used 3/5 of my attempts at the solution brashly without thinking, like a moron, I would like to check my next attempt here before I apply it there. :wink:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A house painter uses the chair and pulley arrangement of Figure P8.42 to lift himself up the side of a house. The painter's mass is 90 kg and the chair's mass is 10 kg. With what force must he pull down on the rope in order to accelerate upward at 0.20 m/s^2?

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/8056/p842.gif [Broken]

2. Relevant equations
    I believe the only formula needed is simple F=MA. F being the force of Tension. So I will say T=MA.

3. The attempt at a solution
    First, forget the pully, man and chair.

Its just a mass of 100kg pulling itself up from a support point by another support point.

I believe to solve the problem I should take the acceleration(a) which I am trying to cause on the mass(M) and add it to the acceleration due to gravity(g), causing the total(A) to be 10.0m/s^2.

There, we have A and M. Simple.

The equation we could use to write this problem out (if we so chose at this point) would be.

2T=M(g+a) therefore T=(M(g+a))/2

Which gave me 500N.

I can't find a logic flaw, hopefully if there is one then you can.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2009 #2
    seems ok to me

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook