Tension between 2 blocks and friction.

In summary: Thanks!In summary, the block of mass m1 pulls the block of mass m2 across the floor with a force of P = 10 N. The coefficient of friction between the blocks and the floor is µ = 0.10.
CaptainSFS

Homework Statement

hm4.gif

A block of mass m1 = 2 kg and a block of mass m2 = 3 kg are tied together and are pulled from rest across the floor by a force of P = 25 N. The coefficient of friction of the blocks with the floor is µ = 0.14.

I found the acceleration to be 3.6266 m/s2.

I need to find the tension in the string between the blocks.

Homework Equations

F=ma and Ff=u(mg)

The Attempt at a Solution

The total frictional force is 6.867 N. m1 has a frictional force of 2.7468 i think, and m2 has a frictional force of 6.7596 i think. I think the pulling force on m1 is 7.2532 N. I mean, i tried creating different summations of the forces, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm sure I could figure it out, but I need to at least know how to add the forces up in each direction. Thanks so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
CaptainSFS said:

Homework Statement

hm4.gif

A block of mass m1 = 2 kg and a block of mass m2 = 3 kg are tied together and are pulled from rest across the floor by a force of P = 25 N. The coefficient of friction of the blocks with the floor is µ = 0.14.

I found the acceleration to be 3.6266 m/s2.
Good. You should round it off though to 3.6

The total frictional force is 6.867 N.
yes
m1 has a frictional force of 2.7468 i think,
yes
and m2 has a frictional force of 6.7596 i think.
where did you get this?
I think the pulling force on m1 is 7.2532 N.
how did you arrive at this?
I mean, i tried creating different summations of the forces, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
Draw a Free Body Diagram of block 1 (isolate it) , and examine the forces acting on it to solve for T using Newton 2. What is the acceleration of block 1?

okay, I typed the wrong number in for m2's frictional force. I meant to type in 4.1202 N. I arrived at m1's pulling force by (2)(3.6) = F. Right, I thought I tried creating a FBD but for some reason I'm doing something wrong. Is the acceleration on block m1 = 2.25 m/s2? At this point I am not sure what I am supposed to do.

EDIT: wait, doesn't the acceleration have to be equal to 3.6m/s2?

Last edited:
Hey, if someone could help me. I'm really stuck on this one, I just think I've dug myself a deeper hole trying to work this out. I would really appreciate any more help.

EDIT: I solved it. it's 10 N...

Last edited:

1. What is tension between two blocks?

Tension between two blocks is the force that is transmitted through a string, rope, or cable when it is pulled tight by forces acting from opposite ends.

2. How is tension calculated in a system with two blocks?

Tension can be calculated by using the equation T = m1a + m2a, where T is the tension force, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two blocks, and a is the acceleration of the system.

3. What factors affect the tension between two blocks?

The tension between two blocks is affected by the masses of the blocks, the acceleration of the system, and the coefficient of friction between the blocks and the surface they are on.

4. How does friction impact the tension between two blocks?

Friction can reduce the tension between two blocks by creating a resistive force that acts against the tension force. This can result in a lower tension force and slower acceleration of the system.

5. How can the tension between two blocks be increased?

The tension between two blocks can be increased by increasing the mass or acceleration of the system, or by decreasing the coefficient of friction between the blocks and the surface they are on.