Tension in a string of a object being pulled by a magnet

In summary, we have a problem involving a magnet pulling on an iron bolt hanging from a string. The bolt is displaced horizontally and we are asked to find the tension in the string and the magnetic force on the bolt. Using the free body diagram and the fact that the bolt is at rest, we can set up equations to solve for the tension and the magnetic force. The resulting values are 1.027N for the tension and 0.806N for the magnetic force.
~christina~
Gold Member
[SOLVED] Tension in a string of a object being pulled by a magnet

Homework Statement

An Iron bolt has a mass of 65.0g and hangs from a string 35.7cm ong. Top end of string is fixed. Without touching it, a magnet attracts the bolt so that it remains stationary displaced horizontally 28.0cm to the right from previously vertical line of string.

a) draw free body diagram of bolt.

b) find tension in string

c.) find magnetic force on bolt.

Homework Equations

F= ma

[tex]\sum F= 0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

a.)
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/6326/50818374tm5.th.jpg

I tried drawing the free body diagram and also in my opinion how the object would be in a drawing..

I'm not sure what to do now since my text isn't clear on what I do to find tension and only has 1 example.

Also I'm not sure about the magnet force pulling on the bolt but I assume it would be a F ...

I do know that the sum of forces = 0 since it since it isn't moving...

but after that I'm not sure what to do...

~I assume I find the angle that it goes out to the horizontal and then use that to find the x and y components of the tension??
But I'm not sure how to resolve that either...

so basically I'm stuck past a.)

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Resolve the tension into horizontal and vertical components.

With the mass at rest, a = 0, so F = ma will not help here. On the other hand, [tex]\sum F= 0[/tex] will work, and in fact

[tex]\sum F_x= 0[/tex] [tex]\sum F_y= 0[/tex]

In order to find the angle of the string with the vertical, the string length length forms the radius of a circular arc (trajectory) of the bolt and the horizontal displacement would form the base of a triangle, with the other leg the radius - height that the bolt is displaced when moving upward in the arc.

See what one can do with that.

Well I did the problem and now I'm back with what I got...I referred to that site you linked me to the other time..hyperphysics

let's see if I get this correctly...

a.) tension in string (if I'm correct it is the m*g is the magnitude of the force in the down direction combined with the angle in y direction)

Tx= 28.0cm (1m/10^2)= .28m
Ty= 35.7cm(1m/10^2)= .357m

sin(theta)= .28/.357= .7843
sin^-1(.7843)= 51.66 deg

T= mg/cos theta (y component of the force on string)
m= 65.0g => 0.065kg
g= 9.8m/s^2 (I think it isn't negative but...)

T= [(.065kg)(9.8m/s^2)]/cos(51.66) = 1.027N => tension

b.) the force of the magnet
[tex]\sum Fx= T sin theta[/tex]

T= 1.027N (assuming the tension force I found was fine above in part a)

1.027N sin (51.66)= = .806 N (force of magnet on the bolt)

Is this fine?

The answers are correct.

I am not sure about
Tx= 28.0cm (1m/10^2)= .28m
Ty= 35.7cm(1m/10^2)= .357m
if one is writing T as tension. Tension is a force and therefore should have units of force, e.g. N.

For a static situation, Ty = mg (weight) which points down, and Tx = Fmagnet, which acts horizontally.

Using the angle with respect to vertical, Ty = T cos[itex]\theta[/itex] and Tx = T sin[itex]\theta[/itex].

Given the horizontal displacement, 28 m, with a radius (hypotenuse) of 35.7 cm, then one can simply use sin[itex]\theta[/itex] = 28/35.7 and then cos[itex]\theta[/itex] = sqrt(1-(28/35.7)2).

Astronuc said:
Given the horizontal displacement, 28 m, with a radius (hypotenuse) of 35.7 cm, then one can simply use sin[itex]\theta[/itex] = 28/35.7 and then cos[itex]\theta[/itex] = sqrt(1-(28/35.7)2).

I don't understand why it's cos[itex]\theta[/itex] = sqrt(1-(28/35.7)2).[/QUOTE]

I know that it relates to a circle but why the 1- ?? and the square root??

could you explain it to me please...

Astronuc is just using a famous trig identity that relates sines and cosines:

[tex]\sin^2\theta + \cos^2\theta = 1[/tex]

No need for that if you have a calculator.

Oh..um Thanks Doc Al

I was actually working on this again to practice for just in case there was a problem like this on my exam..

I worked on it better though with actually writing sum Fx= F- Tsin theta= 0
and etc..

I did this problem the first time I tried to do a tension problem..hence the weirdness in my approach.

Thanks for explaining :smile:

1. How does the tension in a string change when an object is pulled by a magnet?

The tension in a string will increase as the object is pulled by a magnet. This is because the magnet is exerting a force on the object, causing it to accelerate and thus creating tension in the string.

2. What factors affect the tension in a string when an object is pulled by a magnet?

The tension in a string is affected by the strength of the magnet, the weight of the object, and the distance between the magnet and the object. The greater the force exerted by the magnet and the heavier the object, the higher the tension in the string will be.

3. Does the material of the string affect the tension when an object is pulled by a magnet?

Yes, the material of the string can affect the tension. Some materials, such as nylon, are more stretchy and can absorb some of the tension, while others, like steel, are less stretchy and will transmit the full tension to the object being pulled.

4. Is the tension in a string constant when an object is pulled by a magnet?

No, the tension in a string is not constant when an object is pulled by a magnet. As the object is pulled closer to the magnet, the tension will increase due to the stronger force of attraction between the two objects.

5. How can we measure the tension in a string when an object is pulled by a magnet?

The tension in a string can be measured using a spring scale or a force sensor. These devices can measure the force being exerted on the string and give a reading of the tension. Alternatively, the tension can also be calculated using the weight of the object and the acceleration caused by the magnet.