If I pull a pulley, what is the tension in the string around it?

In summary: Since the string exerts a force of F/2 on the pulley, the pulley experiences a net force of (F-F/2) or F/4 acting on it.
phantomvommand
Homework Statement
Please see the attached photo
Relevant Equations
F = ma
Screenshot 2021-03-16 at 12.24.16 AM.png

I assumed that each of the masses attached to the string would be pulled with a force F, instead of F/2, which appears to be the correct value. Why is it F/2? I suspect the fact that the pulley is "weightless" has something to do with the F/2 value. What is it?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
phantomvommand said:
Why is it F/2? I suspect the fact that the pulley is "weightless" has something to do with the F/2 value.
Yes indeed. Since the pulley is massless, there cannot be a net force on it -- if there was, its acceleration would be infinite.

Doc Al said:
Yes indeed. Since the pulley is massless, there cannot be a net force on it -- if there was, its acceleration would be infinite.
thanks for this. What is not clear to me is how the F/2 force in each branch of the string acts to negate the F force on the pulley. At the "bend" of the string, wouldn't the forces there just be F/2 in 2 opposite directions, both of which are perpendicular to the direction of F on the pulley? How does the pulley experience the opposing force of F?

Perhaps because I'm lazy, but I just imagine a "box" around the pulley with the two strings pulling one way and the force F pulling the other way. That way I can avoid worrying about the details of the interaction between the pulley and the string as it goes around the bend. (Note that there will be "normal" forces acting on the string as it bends around the pulley.)

Likes phantomvommand
Summation of forces and moments about the axis of that pulley are both zero, as the thing is not rotating or falling apart.

In order to be a balance of x-axis forces acting on the pulley, T1+T2=F.
For ideal conditions of no mass and no friction in the axis of the pulley, T1=T2.

1. What is tension in a pulley?

Tension in a pulley refers to the pulling force that is exerted on the string or rope that is wrapped around the pulley. It is the force that keeps the string taut and allows the pulley to function properly.

2. How is tension calculated in a pulley system?

Tension in a pulley system can be calculated using the equation T = F x r, where T is the tension, F is the applied force, and r is the radius of the pulley. This equation assumes that there is no friction in the system.

3. Does the tension in a pulley change if the pulley is moving?

Yes, the tension in a pulley can change if the pulley is moving. This is because the applied force and the radius of the pulley can change, which affects the overall tension in the system. Additionally, friction can also play a role in changing the tension.

4. How does the weight of the object being lifted affect the tension in a pulley?

The weight of the object being lifted does not directly affect the tension in a pulley. However, the weight does determine the amount of force that needs to be applied to the pulley in order to lift the object. This force will then affect the tension in the string around the pulley.

5. Can the tension in a pulley be greater than the weight of the object being lifted?

Yes, the tension in a pulley can be greater than the weight of the object being lifted. This is because the applied force can be greater than the weight of the object, resulting in a higher tension in the string. However, the tension cannot exceed the breaking strength of the string or rope used in the pulley system.