1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension in cable and reaction force

1. Oct 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    For this problem, what I am confused about is the fact that the Z direction parts of the tension will tend to rotate in a direction different from the Y components of the tension and the 850 lb vertical force. I am not sure how to reconcile the moments involving the Z-component into my moment equation around point A, which I know should be zero. The x component is along the line of point A, so there moments must be zero.

I remember solving 2-D moments and the x components and y components will cause rotation in the same direction, but with 3-D moments it appears the z component will rotate around a different direction than the y component will, so it seems unlikely that they can be added together like the x and y components can be in 2-D torques.

I know the page is cut off, but I don't get the right value when I do it this way. I know the part about the forces is correct, there is something that I am missing though with respect to taking a moment around point A, which I want to do in order to get rid of the reaction forces at A.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2013 #2
    Taking a moment with respect to point B should give you more simple equations.

If you are doing scalar analysis, you should break your moment into Mx, My, Mz. Use M = r x F instead for vector analysis.

4. Oct 20, 2013 #3
    Thanks, I took the moment at point B and got it solved

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted