1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension in two wires at unknown angles

1. Aug 6, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An object at rest is suspended from two strings (A and B) as shown in the diagram, with A shorter than B. The object pulls on the point O with a force of 20 N. Each of the strings also exerts a force on the Point O. The angle between the strings at O is 90o.

prob09.gif

Which of the statements below are true? (If A and E are true, and the others are false, enter TFFFT).

A) The force exerted by B on point O points downward and to the left.
    B) The magnitude of the force exerted by B on point O must be smaller than that of A.
    C) The magnitude of the vector sum of the forces exerted by A and B is greater than 20 N.
    D) The vector sum of the forces exerted by A and B points upward and to the right.
    E) The magnitude of the force exerted by B must be 20 N or less.

2. Relevant equations
    F = ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that the net forces in the horizontal and vertical planes will add up to 0 respectively, and that double angles and trig can be used to narrow down the given data into two unknowns (one value for tension and the angle). I think that the final answer is False, False, False, True, True. I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to think about the problem further.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2016 #2

Merlin3189

Gold Member

Perhaps you could give a reason for each answer.
    (BTW I disagree with only one of your answers. One other answer I might say the opposite, but I can see how one could say T and F for it!)

4. Aug 6, 2016 #3
    A) F - In component form, the forces will act up and to the right
    B) F - I think considering cos of this force to the block will make it bigger than A
    C) F - The vector sum should be equal to 20N to keep the system in equilibrium
    D) F? - The forces in the horizontal should be opposite and equal, which means the vector sum should be up in the vertical
    E) T - If B were greater than 20N, there would most likely be movement in this direction

5. Aug 6, 2016 #4

Merlin3189

Gold Member

A) F - In component form, the forces will act up and to the right - force in B is up and right. I'm not sure where components come in?
    B) F - I think considering cos of this force to the block will make it bigger than A - not clear to me. cos of which angle? how big is that angle?
    C) F - The vector sum should be equal to 20N to keep the system in equilibrium - Agree
    D) F? - The forces in the horizontal should be opposite and equal, which means the vector sum should be up in the vertical - Agree
    E) T - If B were greater than 20N, there would most likely be movement in this direction - I don't follow your logic here. If both A and B were greater than 20N pulling mainly sideways, they'd cancel each other and only their smaller vertical components would add to 20N. But I do think B is less than 15N.

6. Aug 6, 2016 #5
    • A: where the resultant B can be resolved into vectors on the x- and y-axes
    • B: I'm sorry, I confused this with determining magnitude of work.
    • E: As far as this goes I know it can be said that Ay + By = 20N to counter the weight, regardless of which one is greater. If this refers to force in the vertical, then B would have to be less than 20N with A making up the difference. It's just the mathematical relationship between B and the acute angle that made me unsure. I understand it now.
    Thank you for sacrificing some of your Saturday night!

7. Aug 6, 2016 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You need to be careful with B. I draw your attention to two facts:
    • You are not told angle alpha
    • The word "must" in the question
    Write out the balance of forces equations for the horizontal and vertical directions.
    I don't think you do.
    To answer this question you need to use the given 90 degree angle.

8. Aug 6, 2016 #7

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I note it says A is shorter than B. So the length of A is in the range 0 to slightly less than B.

9. Aug 6, 2016 #8

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think that makes statement B true.

10. Aug 6, 2016 #9

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For statement E.... I think force B would be a maximum when lenght A is a maximum. The max lenght of A is just less than lenght B. Eg the angle is 45 degrees.

11. Aug 6, 2016 #10

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

At the risk of giving too much help.. if A is less than B what does that mean for Tan(alpha) and hence alpha.

12. Aug 6, 2016 #11

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, I missed that.

13. Aug 8, 2016 #12
    I completely forgot about Pythagoras. Thanks for all the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted