Tension problem, finding acceleration with kinetic friction

In summary: It's so frustrating when I know how to do it but I make a dumb mistake like that.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving three blocks connected by strings and friction-less pulleys with negligible masses. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the 2.0 kg block and the table is 0.17. The question is asking for the acceleration of the 2.0 kg block. The solution involves setting up three Newton's equations and solving for acceleration, but the initial attempts resulted in a 0 in the denominator due to algebraic errors and inconsistencies.
p0ps1c1e
Three blocks are connected as shown in the uploaded picture. The strings and friction-less pulleys have negligible masses, and the coefficient of kinetic friction between the 2.0 kg block and the table is 0.17. What is the acceleration of the 2.0 kg block?

Homework Equations

∑F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

So i wrote 3 Newton equations:

k-T1+T2 = m2a

T1-m1g = m1a

T2-m3g = m3a

Putting them together I got:

km2g - m1g + m3g = a(m2 + m1 - m3)and then tried to solve for acceleration. Problem is every time I do it I end up with a 0 in the denominator so I don't know if I'm doing something wrong conceptually or if I am just messing up in my algebra. I'm also not sure if all three of the blocks have the same acceleration. I would think so since they are all on a string.

Attachments

• PhysicsDrawing1.png
    PhysicsDrawing1.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 618
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation do not match your drawing... but I think I can figure it out.
m1=1kg, m2=2kg and m3=3kg right?

The first equation is incorrect - what is the equation governing friction?

The last equation is inconsistent with the first two - check the direction for positive acceleration.

Oh derp... haha. Thanks.

I'm looking through my old exams and I'm finding so many little mistakes like that.

1. What is a tension problem and how does it relate to finding acceleration?

A tension problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the force of tension in a string or rope. It is often used in conjunction with other forces, such as gravity or friction, to determine the acceleration of an object. In these problems, the tension in the string acts as an opposing force to the other forces acting on the object.

2. How does kinetic friction affect the acceleration in a tension problem?

Kinetic friction is a force that acts against the motion of an object when it is in contact with a surface. In a tension problem, the presence of kinetic friction can decrease the acceleration of the object by reducing the net force acting on it. This force is typically represented by the coefficient of kinetic friction (μ) and the normal force between the object and the surface.

3. What is the formula for finding acceleration in a tension problem with kinetic friction?

The formula for finding acceleration in a tension problem with kinetic friction is a = (μ * N - T) / m, where μ is the coefficient of kinetic friction, N is the normal force, T is the tension force, and m is the mass of the object. This formula is derived from Newton's second law (F = ma) and takes into account all the forces acting on the object.

4. How do I determine the direction of the acceleration in a tension problem with kinetic friction?

The direction of the acceleration in a tension problem with kinetic friction can be determined by looking at the direction of the net force acting on the object. If the net force is in the same direction as the motion, the acceleration will be positive. If the net force is in the opposite direction of the motion, the acceleration will be negative. The direction of the net force can be determined by considering all the individual forces and their directions.

5. Can kinetic friction ever increase the acceleration in a tension problem?

No, kinetic friction can never increase the acceleration in a tension problem. This is because kinetic friction always acts in the opposite direction of the motion, so it will always decrease the net force and therefore the acceleration of the object. The only way for the acceleration to increase is if another force, such as a tension force or an applied force, is increased.