1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I have a question about a pulley and tension-related problem

1. Mar 3, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The figure shows three blocks attached by cords that loop over frictionless pulleys. Block B lies on a frictionless table; the masses are mA = 4.80 kg, mB = 7.10 kg, and mC = 13.0 kg. When the blocks are released, what is the tension in the cord at the right?

Figure A is on the left, figure C on the right, C being the largest mass.

2. Relevant equations
    For part A I got T-m1g=ma, (Because the tension will be more used when it gets pulled up)
    For Part B, This is where i am confused, I originally used T1-T2=M2A, because I thought that since the Box B will move to the right, then its tension would be less because Box C is pulling more with M3g, but I checked the answer and it said T2-T1=M2A, but why is that the right answer
    For Part C I got, M3g-T=m3a (since gravity will do most of the work

3. The attempt at a solution
    I got the answer of -7.22 on my first attempt and 3.22 for the acceleration on the second, which 3.22 is the correct answer. Help!! I am just confused in part B!!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2016 #2

Merlin3189

Gold Member

Your picture doesn't seem to have uploaded and I think it is needed to understand the problem. Perhaps you can try again.

4. Mar 3, 2016 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I think I can guess the diagram. Mass 1 hangs from a pulley on the left. The cord passes up over the pulley and extends horizontally to the right to mass 2. The second cord continues from mass 2 horizontally to the right, over a second pulley and straight down to mass 3.
    Your working would be easier to follow if you were to use suffixes consistently.

You correctly presumed mass 1 would rise and mass 3 would fall, and got the right equations for those.
    And, as you say, mass 2 will move to the right. But I cannot understand your explanation for why you chose T1-T2 there.
    If the acceleration is to the right, which tension must be greater?

5. Mar 3, 2016 #4
    I see to understand now!! thanks sorry for not posting a picture!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted