1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tensor determinant using box product

1. May 27, 2016 #1

hotvette

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Using index notation only (i.e. don't expand any sums) show that:
    \begin{align*}
    &\text{(a) } \epsilon_{ijk} \det \underline{\bf{A}} = \epsilon_{mnp} A_{mi} A_{nj} A_{pk} \\
    & \text{(b) } \det \underline{\bf{A}} = \epsilon_{mnp} A_{m1} A_{n2} A_{p3}
    \end{align*}

2. Relevant equations

\begin{align*}
    &\text{(1) }\epsilon_{ijk} \det \underline{\bf{A}} = [\underline{\bf{A}} \underline{e}_i, \underline{\bf{A}} \underline{e}_j, \underline{\bf{A}} \underline{e}_k] \\
    & \text{(2) } \underline{\bf{A}} = A_{ij} \underline{e}_i \otimes \underline{e}_j \\
    & \text{(3) } \underline{\bf{A}} \underline{e}_j= (A_{pq} \underline{e}_p \otimes \underline{e}_q)\underline{e}_j
    = (\underline{e}_q \cdot \underline{e}_j) A_{pq} \underline{e}_p = \delta_{qj} A_{pq} \underline{e}_p = A_{pj} \underline{e}_p
    \end{align*}

3. The attempt at a solution
    I got part (a) by using (3) for each term of the box product, substituting each of those expressions into the box product, and evaluating.

What baffles me is (b). If I multiply [itex] \epsilon_{ijk} [/itex] times (b) and compare to (a), the net result is:
    \begin{align*}
    &\epsilon_{mnp} (\epsilon_{ijk} A_{m1} A_{n2} A_{p3}) = \epsilon_{mnp} (A_{mi} A_{nj} A_{pk}) \\
    & \epsilon_{ijk} A_{m1} A_{n2} A_{p3} = A_{mi} A_{nj} A_{pk}
    \end{align*}

But I have no idea what to do with that (the indices look really goofy). Any tips?

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2016 #2
    You can't go from the first line to the second line by dividing by ##\epsilon_{mnp}## throughout - because there is an summation involved.

To arrive at (b) from (a), consider the value of ##\epsilon_{123}## :wink:

4. May 27, 2016 #3

hotvette

Homework Helper

Ah, thanks. I was applying standard algebra techniques, which I now see is a mistake. Gosh, the answer is soooooo simple! Thanks.

P.S. I'd fiddled with this thing for probably 2 hours. At one point I was on the right track by looking at how to eliminate [itex] \epsilon_{ijk} [/itex] from (a) to isolate the determinant. I thought about multiplying both sides by [itex] \epsilon_{ijk} [/itex] to get [itex] 6 \det(A) = xxx [/itex] but that didn't look promising. Drat!

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  5. May 27, 2016 #4
    Haha, I guess the trick is to realise that the only way you can have explicit labels such as 1,2 and 3 appearing in the indices is by setting them to be so - multiplying by other stuff with arbitrary indices can never give you specific indices.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted