Vector cross product with curl

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of index-comma notation to show that the vector product of a vector and the curl of the vector is equal to half the gradient of the dot product of the vector with itself minus the gradient of the vector dotted with itself. The conversation includes attempts at solving the problem and identifying potential approaches such as simplifying the terms using the identity ##\epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{lmk} = \delta_{il} \delta_{jm} - \delta_{im} \delta_{jl}##. However, there are some discrepancies in the solution and further clarification is needed.
hotvette
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Using index-comma notation only, show:
\begin{equation*}
\underline{\bf{v}} \times \text{curl } \underline{\bf{v}}= \frac{1}{2} \text{ grad}(\underline{\bf{v}} \cdot \underline{\bf{v}}) - (\text{grad } \underline{\bf{v}}) \underline{\bf{v}}
\end{equation*}

Homework Equations

\begin{align*}
\text{ curl } \underline{\bf{v}} &= \epsilon_{ijk} v_{j,i} \underline{\bf{e}}_k \\
\underline{\bf{v}} \times \underline{\bf{u}} &= \epsilon_{ijk} v_i u_j \underline{\bf{e}}_k
\end{align*}

The Attempt at a Solution

If I let [itex] \underline{\bf{u}} =\text{ curl } \underline{\bf{v}}[/itex] we get:
\begin{align*}
\underline{\bf{u}} &= \text{ curl } \underline{\bf{v}} =\epsilon_{prq} v_{r,p} \underline{\bf{e}}_q \\
u_j &= \epsilon_{prq} v_{r,p} \underline{\bf{e}}_q \cdot \underline{\bf{e}}_j \\
u_j &= \epsilon_{prq} v_{r,p} \delta_{qj} = \epsilon_{prj} v_{r,p} \\
\underline{\bf{v}} \times \underline{\bf{u}} &= \epsilon_{ijk} v_i u_j \underline{\bf{e}}_k \\
&= \epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{prj} v_i v_{r,p} \underline{\bf{e}}_k
\end{align*}
Is this correct so far? Trouble is, I'm not sure what to do next. I'm wondering if trying to simplify [itex]\epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{prj}[/itex] would be a fruitful approach. Appreciate hints/tips. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hotvette said:
Is this correct so far? Trouble is, I'm not sure what to do next. I'm wondering if trying to simplify [itex]\epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{prj}[/itex] would be a fruitful approach.
Looks correct to me. Yup, that approach is the way to go. This is a well-known identity,
[tex]\epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{\ell mk} = \delta_{i\ell} \delta_{jm} - \delta_{im} \delta_{j \ell}[/tex]
for which there are several different ways to prove.

OK, I"m getting closer but (maybe) ran into another snag. Using the following:
\begin{equation*}
\epsilon_{ijk} = \epsilon_{jki} = \epsilon_{kij}
\end{equation*}
we get:
\begin{align*}
\epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{prj} &= \epsilon_{kij} \epsilon_{prj} = \delta_{ip} \delta_{jr} - \delta_{ir} \delta_{jp} \\
\underline{\bf{v}} \times \text{curl }\underline{\bf{v}} &=
(\delta_{ip} \delta_{jr} - \delta_{ir} \delta_{jp})(v_i v_{r,p}) \underline{\bf{e}}_k \\
&= v_i v_{r,p} \delta_{ip} \delta_{jr} \underline{\bf{e}}_k - v_i v_{r,p} \delta_{ir} \delta_{jp}\underline{\bf{e}}_k \\
\end{align*}
Looking at the LHS and comparing with the problem statement, we have:
\begin{align*}
v_i v_{r,p} \delta_{ip} \delta_{jr} \underline{\bf{e}}_k &= v_p v_{r,p} \delta_{jr} \underline{\bf{e}}_k \\
\frac{1}{2} \text{grad}(\underline{\bf{v}} \cdot \underline{\bf{v}}) &= \frac{1}{2} (v_i v_i)_{,j} \underline{\bf{e}}_j
= \frac{1}{2} ({v_i}^2)_{,j} \underline{\bf{e}}_j = v_j \underline{\bf{e}}_j
\end{align*}
Which means that [itex]v_p v_{r,p} \delta_{jr} \underline{\bf{e}}_k[/itex] needs to reduce to [itex]v_j \underline{\bf{e}}_j[/itex].
Providing the Kronecker delta can alter partial derivative indices(which I'm not sure), we get:
\begin{align*}
v_p v_{r,p} \delta_{jr} \underline{\bf{e}}_k &= v_p v_{j,p} \underline{\bf{e}}_k \\
&= v_j \underline{\bf{e}}_j \text{ ??}
\end{align*}
It isn't clear to me why the last step is valid. It looks goofy to me because [itex]v_{j,p} = \frac{\partial v_j}{\partial x_p}[/itex] which I think is a matrix of partial derivatives. Appreciate clarification/comment on that one. Now, to tackle the RHS...

Your claim that ##\frac 12(v_i^2)_{,j} = v_j## isn't correct. If you correct that, you'll see you're essentially done.

Maybe it's the same thing, but I think the last term should read ## v \cdot \nabla v ##. (This identity can be found on the cover of J.D. Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics in the form ## \nabla (a \cdot b) =a \cdot \nabla b +b \cdot \nabla a + a \times \nabla \times b + b\times \nabla \times a ##.)

Hmmm, is:
\begin{equation*}
\tfrac{1}{2} ({v_i}^2)_{,j} = v_i v_{i,j} \text{ ??}
\end{equation*}
If so, then I get:
\begin{align*}
v_p v_{j,p} \underline{\bf{e}}_k &= v_i v_{i,j} \underline{\bf{e}}_j && \text(a) \\
&= v_p v_{p,j} \underline{\bf{e}}_j &&\text{(b) for free index, ok to change}\\
&= v_p v_{j,p} \underline{\bf{e}}_j &&\text{(c) ok to switch indices on partial?}
\end{align*}
But then the basis vectors don't match :(

hotvette said:
We get:
\begin{align*}
\epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{prj} &= \epsilon_{kij} \epsilon_{prj} = \delta_{ip} \delta_{jr} - \delta_{ir} \delta_{jp}
\end{align*}
The free indices don't match. You're summing over ##j##, so it shouldn't appear on the righthand side.

Ah, thanks for pointing out the error! OK, I now get:
\begin{equation*}
\epsilon_{kij} \epsilon_{prj} = \delta_{kp} \delta_{ir} - \delta_{kr} \delta_{ip}
\end{equation*}
which gives:
\begin{align*}
\underline{\bf{v}} \times \text{curl }\underline{\bf{v}} &= (\delta_{kp} \delta_{ir} - \delta_{kr} \delta_{ip}) v_i v_{r,p} \underline{\bf{e}}_k \\
&= \delta_{kp} \delta_{ir} v_i v_{r,p} \underline{\bf{e}}_k - \delta_{kr} \delta_{ip} v_i v_{r,p} \underline{\bf{e}}_k \\
&= v_r v_{r,k} \, \underline{\bf{e}}_k - v_p v_{k,p} \, \underline{\bf{e}}_k
\end{align*}
For the LHS I now get a match but I still can't get the RHS to match:
\begin{align*}
&\underline{\bf{u}} = \text{grad } \underline{\bf{v}} = v_{i,j} \, \underline{\bf{e}}_i \otimes \underline{\bf{e}}_j && \text{(a)}\\
&\underline{\bf{u}} \underline{\bf{v}} = u_r v_p \, \underline{\bf{e}}_r \otimes \underline{\bf{e}}_p && \text{(b)}\\
&u_r = v_{i,r} \, \underline{\bf{e}}_i && \text{(c)}\\
& (\text{grad } \underline{\bf{v}}) \underline{\bf{v}} = (v_{i,r} \, \underline{\bf{e}}_i) v_p \, \underline{\bf{e}}_r \otimes \underline{\bf{e}}_p && \text{(d)} \\
&= v_p v_{i,r} \, (\underline{\bf{e}}_r \otimes \underline{\bf{e}}_p)\underline{\bf{e}}_i && \text{(e)} \\
&= v_p v_{p,r} \, \underline{\bf{e}}_r = v_p v_{p,k} \, \underline{\bf{e}}_k \ne v_p v_{k,p} \, \underline{\bf{e}}_k && \text{(f)}
\end{align*}
What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
hotvette said:
Ah, thanks for pointing out the error! OK, I now get:
\begin{equation*}
\epsilon_{kij} \epsilon_{prj} = \delta_{kp} \delta_{ir} - \delta_{kr} \delta_{ip}
\end{equation*}
which gives:
\begin{align*}
\underline{\bf{v}} \times \text{curl }\underline{\bf{v}} &= (\delta_{kp} \delta_{ir} - \delta_{kr} \delta_{ip}) v_i v_{r,p} \underline{\bf{e}}_k \\
&= \delta_{kp} \delta_{ir} v_i v_{r,p} \underline{\bf{e}}_k - \delta_{kr} \delta_{ip} v_i v_{r,p} \underline{\bf{e}}_k \\
&= v_r v_{r,k} \, \underline{\bf{e}}_k - v_p v_{k,p} \, \underline{\bf{e}}_k
\end{align*}
Using what you said in post #6, the first term is ##\frac 12 (\vec{v}\cdot \vec{v})_{,k}\hat{e}_k=\frac 12 \nabla(\vec{v}\cdot \vec{v})##. The second term is ##(\nabla \cdot \vec{v})\vec{v}##. So you're essentially done. (As Charles pointed out, the last term in the original post is wrong.)

Likes Charles Link
I don't know this new notation very well= I write out all the partial derivative terms when I do a proof like this, but one suggestion would be to consider my post #5. The term should be ## v \cdot \nabla v ##, and not ## (\nabla v)v ## (or (grad v)v as you wrote it in the OP.)

Ah, I understand now (I didn't know how to interpret post #5). I can now see that it works out if the last term is [itex] \underline{\bf{v}} \cdot \text{ grad} \, \underline{\bf{v}}[/itex]. I'll check with my professor. Thanks!

Likes Charles Link

What is the vector cross product?

The vector cross product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as inputs and produces a third vector as the output. It is denoted by the symbol "x" and is also known as the vector product or the cross product.

What is the difference between the vector cross product and the dot product?

The vector cross product produces a vector as the output, while the dot product produces a scalar (a single number) as the output. Additionally, the vector cross product is only defined for three-dimensional vectors, while the dot product can be calculated for any number of dimensions.

What is the physical significance of the vector cross product?

The vector cross product has many physical applications, including calculating torque (a force that causes rotation), calculating magnetic fields, and determining the direction of the angular momentum of a rotating object.

How is the vector cross product calculated?

The vector cross product is calculated by taking the determinant of a 3x3 matrix. This involves multiplying the corresponding components of the two input vectors and then subtracting those results from each other in a specific order. The resulting vector will be perpendicular to both of the input vectors.

What is the relationship between the vector cross product and the curl of a vector field?

The vector cross product is closely related to the curl of a vector field. In fact, the curl of a vector field can be calculated using the vector cross product. Additionally, the vector cross product can be used to visualize and understand the behavior of a vector field in three-dimensional space.