Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Tensor product and ultraproduct construction

1. Jul 22, 2016 #1
    I do not know if this is the proper rubric to ask this question, but I picked the one that seemed the most relevant.

I have noticed some superficial resemblance between the tensor product and the ultraproduct definitions. Does this resemblance go any further?

While I am on the subject of tensor products: when there is a physical interaction, is there necessarily entanglement involved, even for a short time?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

I haven't heard of ultraproducts before and I am not sure whether you mean the same thing, that Wiki means by it.
    If so I don't get the "superficial resemblance". Can you elaborate this in more detail?
    And - still assuming coincidence - "Logic" might be the appropriate rubric.

4. Jul 24, 2016 #3
    Thanks, fresh_42. First, the very superficial resemblance goes as follows: tensor products are used for combining Hilbert spaces into a new Hilbert space. A Hilbert space can be viewed as (a theory of) a model. The Ultraproduct construction (yes, as in Wiki) is used to combine models into a new model. More along algebraic lines, the analogy is that both are completions, using a collection of sequences modulo an equivalence relation.

The reason I am keeping this question here is that I realize that my second question has a better chance of being answered than the first one, and is in fact of greater interest. I should have added that I meant physical interaction between two particles (yes, I know that "particle" is just an abbreviation for "a local excitation of a field"); in other words, if two particles interact, is the result at any one point necessarily a state that cannot be reduced to the tensor product of two separate states? The reason I ask this is that I seem to recall (sorry, I do not have the reference -- I know that this is bad:sorry:) a discussion about decoherence saying that the information from a state becomes entangled with its environment. But I'm not sure that I see an algebraic reason for the necessity of this entanglement. This question would not go over well in the logic rubric.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted