1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tensor Product of Pauli Matrices

1. Mar 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose that [tex][\sigma_a]_{ij}[/tex] and [tex][\eta_a]_{xy}[/tex] are Pauli matrices in two different two dimensional spaces. In the four dimensional tensor product space, define the basis:
    [tex]|1\rangle=|i=1\rangle|x=1\rangle[/tex]
    [tex]|2\rangle=|i=1\rangle|x=2\rangle[/tex]
    [tex]|3\rangle=|i=2\rangle|x=1\rangle[/tex]
    [tex]|4\rangle=|i=2\rangle|x=2\rangle[/tex]
    Write out the matrix elements of [tex]\sigma_2\otimes\eta_1[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\sigma_a\sigma_b=\delta_{ab} + i\epsilon_{abc}\sigma_c[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that that [tex]\sigma_2\otimes\sigma_1=\begin{bmatrix}0&0&0&-i\\0&0&-i&0\\0&i&0&0\\i&0&0&0\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    And [tex]\langle i,x| \sigma_2\otimes\eta_1|j,y\rangle = \langle i| \sigma_2|j\rangle \langle x| \eta_1|y\rangle[/tex]
    I'm just confused about the matrices being in different spaces, how do I use the defined basis to calculate the matrix elements? I suspect I need the formula given as a relevant equation, but how can I use it with matrices in different spaces.
    I'm doing self study with Georgi - Lie Algebras.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2009 #2
    Here's what I'm thinking: We have two matrices A and B that represent linear transformations f and g in two spaces U and V with basis (u, u') and (v, v'), respectively. The tensor product space U otimes V will have as a basis (uv, uv', u'v, u'v') and A otimes B will be the matrix representation of f otimes g with the aforementioned basis.

So represenet sigma_2 with respect to (|i=1>, |i=2>) and then eta_1 with respect to (|x=1>, |x=2>) and take their tensor product.

I'm no expert on this though. Caveat emptor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook