1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tensors, metrics, differential geometry, and all that

1. Jul 25, 2011 #1
    I'm looking to learn general relativity, but I'm having a hard time. Frankly, I can't find any text books that I can understand.

There seems to be a gap between the maths I did at uni, and the maths of general relativity.

I've done vector calculus, differential equations, linear algebra and complex analysis etc, but I just can't seem to find any resources to bridge the gap.

While at uni, I mostly used the k.a. stroud engineering mathematics books.

Do I need to re-visit some of this from a more rigorous angle? I'm getting quite frustrated, as I no-longer have a tutor or class mates to discuss things with.

I'm starting a course in general relativity in February, and really want to get a head start.

I'd like to know what maths I need to learn to fill in the gaps in my knowledge, and in what order I should learn them.

Advice/book recommendations would be great.
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2011 #2
    My favorite GR introductory books are Wolfgang Rindler's "Relativity: Special, General and Comological" and Ray de'Inverno's "Introducing Einstein's Relativity". Ray de'Inverno's book provides you lots of exercises on tensor calculus. Most of his exercises are straightforward, easy-to-do, but can help you to build up skills. Bernard Schutz's "A First Course in General Relativity" is also nice: many undergraduate GR books shun to discuss "differential forms" , but Bernard Schutz does not omit this.

4. Jul 25, 2011 #3
    Thanks.

Luckily, I have access to an academic library; I'll have a look for them.

5. Jul 26, 2011 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook