Tenth taylor polynomial for sinx

In summary, the student is having trouble understanding why the tenth Taylor polynomial of sinx includes a final term of x^11, even though according to the formula, the maximum degree should be 10. They are demanding an explanation from a mathematical or scientific perspective and are in grade 11. However, the question is not well-defined and more information is needed to provide a clear answer.
alingy1

Homework Statement

So, we are supposed to find the tenth taylor polynomial of sinx. On wolfram, I get a final term with x^11 at the end. How does that make sense?! According to the formula, n=10 so the maximum degree should be 10...

Homework Equations

Taylor polynomial formula.

The Attempt at a Solution

I would stick with what the formula tells me, but my homework wants me to write x^11. I DEMAND TO KNOW WHY AS ANY MATHEMATICIAN/SCIENTIST :) I am in grade 11.

Physics news on Phys.org
It would be best to start by defining "10th Taylor polynomial". Is this a polynomial with exactly 10 terms? 9 terms plus a remainder counting as the 10th? A polynomial which uses up to and including the 10th derivative (not the same as the above)? With or without remainder?

Your problem is a semantic one, not a mathematical one.

For all I know, you are in grade 22.

alingy1 said:

Homework Statement

So, we are supposed to find the tenth taylor polynomial of sinx. On wolfram, I get a final term with x^11 at the end. How does that make sense?! According to the formula, n=10 so the maximum degree should be 10...

Homework Equations

Taylor polynomial formula.

The Attempt at a Solution

I would stick with what the formula tells me, but my homework wants me to write x^11. I DEMAND TO KNOW WHY AS ANY MATHEMATICIAN/SCIENTIST :) I am in grade 11.

The question isn't very well posed as you have stated it. What does "tenth Taylor polynomial" mean? Ten terms? Ten non-zero terms? Up to ##n=10##? And even that would depend whether the index in the summation gives consecutive integers or just odd ones. Does it include the remainder? So an exact statement of the problem would be helpful.

1. What is the formula for the Tenth Taylor Polynomial for sinx?

The Tenth Taylor Polynomial for sinx is given by the formula:
P10(x) = x - x3/3! + x5/5! - x7/7! + x9/9!

2. How is the Tenth Taylor Polynomial for sinx derived?

The Tenth Taylor Polynomial for sinx is derived using the Taylor series expansion of sinx centered at x = 0. This involves finding the derivatives of sinx at x = 0 and substituting them into the general formula for the Taylor series.

3. What is the significance of using the Tenth Taylor Polynomial for sinx?

The Tenth Taylor Polynomial for sinx provides a good approximation of the value of sinx for values of x close to 0. It can also be used to estimate the value of sinx for larger values of x by adding or subtracting the appropriate terms in the polynomial.

4. How accurate is the Tenth Taylor Polynomial for sinx?

The Tenth Taylor Polynomial for sinx is an approximation of the value of sinx and therefore, it is not exact. The accuracy depends on the value of x and the number of terms used in the polynomial. As the number of terms increases, the accuracy also increases.

5. Can the Tenth Taylor Polynomial for sinx be used for other trigonometric functions?

Yes, the Taylor series expansion can be used to find the Taylor Polynomial for any differentiable function, including other trigonometric functions such as cosx and tanx. The process is similar to finding the Tenth Taylor Polynomial for sinx.