1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tenth taylor polynomial for sinx

1. Dec 14, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

So, we are supposed to find the tenth taylor polynomial of sinx. On wolfram, I get a final term with x^11 at the end. How does that make sense?! According to the formula, n=10 so the maximum degree should be 10...

2. Relevant equations

Taylor polynomial formula.

3. The attempt at a solution

I would stick with what the formula tells me, but my homework wants me to write x^11. I DEMAND TO KNOW WHY AS ANY MATHEMATICIAN/SCIENTIST :) I am in grade 11.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2013 #2
    It would be best to start by defining "10th Taylor polynomial". Is this a polynomial with exactly 10 terms? 9 terms plus a remainder counting as the 10th? A polynomial which uses up to and including the 10th derivative (not the same as the above)? With or without remainder?

Your problem is a semantic one, not a mathematical one.

For all I know, you are in grade 22.

4. Dec 14, 2013 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The question isn't very well posed as you have stated it. What does "tenth Taylor polynomial" mean? Ten terms? Ten non-zero terms? Up to ##n=10##? And even that would depend whether the index in the summation gives consecutive integers or just odd ones. Does it include the remainder? So an exact statement of the problem would be helpful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted