1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Taylor polynomials , Multiple Questions !

1. Jul 24, 2014 #1
    Whats up guys ! currently studying for calculas exam and could use someone going over my answers !

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Q1. Calculate the taylor polynomial of degree 5 centred 0 for f(x) = e-x. Simply coeffcients and use the error formula to estimate the error when p5(0.1)

Q.2 Q1. Calculate the taylor polynomial of degree 6 centred 0 for f(x) = cos(x). Simply coeffcients and use the error formula to estimate the error when p6(-2)

Q3. Calculate the taylor polynomial of degree 3 centred x=1 for g(x) = x3/4. Simply coeffcients and use to approximate (0.9)3/4

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Q1. 1 + x + -x2/2 - x3/6 + x4/24 + x5/120, , , 1.104 for next bit ?

Q2. 1- x2/2 + x4/24 + x6/720 ,, 2.422 for next part

Q3. Unsure on how to do

Could someone look over my answers , i think there right im just unsure about the polaritys of some of the figures and also im unsure if i answered it correctly when it asked me to "Estimate the errors"

Thanks in advance !

P.S
    I`m new to this forum , im wondering if it would be possible to post up a PDF with around 8 diffrent questions on it ? i need them all answred for studying purposes as i have a repeat college exam coming up soon :uhh:
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2014 #2
    Below is an equation for a Taylor polynomial:

[itex] P_n(x) = f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + \frac {f''(a)}{2!}(x-a)^2 + ... + \frac {f^{(n)}(a)}{n!}(x-a)^{n} [/itex].

The "error function" is also called the "remainder function", which is the following:

[itex] R(x) = f(x) - P_{n,a}(x) [/itex].

It's the difference between the value of the function at a certain point and the value of the Taylor polynomial centered at a.

Post if you have any troubles with the questions.

4. Jul 25, 2014 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That is NOT the error formula. The typical error formula would be
    [tex] \text{error} = \frac{f^{(n+1)}(\xi)}{(n+1)!} (x-a)^{n+1},[/tex]
    where ##\xi## is a number in the interval ##[a,x]## (if ##x > a##) or in ##[x,a]## (if ##x < a##). See, eg., http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor's_theorem .

Note: I mean that what you have done is define the error, not given a useful formula for it.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  5. Jul 25, 2014 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You have your signs really confused here. Is "+ -x2" a typo? The Taylor polynomial for ex is 1+ x+ x2/2+ x3/6+ x4/24+ x5/120. To get the Taylor polynomial for e-x, replace x with -x which means every odd power will become negative.

Please don't do that!
    If you want people to help you, you do the work of posting problems. Don't make the people you are asking for help do the work of opening and reading pdfs for you.

6. Jul 25, 2014 #5
    Cool thanks for the help guys but could you`s maybe do out the question so i could see it more clearly ?

Q3. Calculate the taylor polynomial of degree 3 centred x=1 for g(x) = x3/4. Simply coeffcients and use to approximate (0.9)3/4

^^^This on in particular if someone does it step by step would be cool !

7. Jul 25, 2014 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It may be cool for you but it is very much against the Forum rules. You should read them; in particular, we are NOT allowed to do solutions step-by-step. We are allowed to help and give hints, etc., but YOU must do the work. If you ask more specific questions you might get better answers. Just saying you don't know how to do it is not good enough.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted