Terahertz radiation converted into heat

In summary, the conversation discusses the percentage of THz radiation that is converted into heat energy when incident upon a detector element. The amount converted depends on the reflectivity and moisture on the surface, and all absorbed energy is eventually converted into heat. Some energy may also be used to change the surface's chemical nature. The conversation also mentions the absorption efficiency of the dielectric medium and offers the expertise of a postgraduate student in Terahertz as a resource for further questions.
jgrant333
Hello all.

Does anyone know what percentage of THz radiation is converted into heat energy? I'm thinking of the simple case where a beam of Thz radiation is incident upon some sort of detector element. The THz radiation can either be converted into kinetic energy (vibration of the molecules/atoms) or heat energy (there is not sufficient energy for inter atomic transitions etc.)

Has anyone tried to simulate such a situation?

Many thanks,

Science news on Phys.org
It depends on the surface. Like any other form of light the amount converted into heat is just 1-reflectivity. For these wavelengths there are lots of water bands so you would also have to be careful about any moisture on the surface.

Of course ii depends on the amount of light reflected.

However not all of the absorbed radiation will be converted into heat. It is this % of absorbed energy converted into heat I am after.

All the absorbed energy is converted into heat (where else could it go?)
Some of it will be re-radiated, assuming that the object behaves like a black body you can calculate what temperature it will heat up to and how much power will be re-radiated.

-In the short term some energy could be used to change the chemical nature of the surface (eg in cooking) but then anything else will just be heat.

It depends on the absorption efficiency of the dielectric medium.
I am a postgraduate majored in Terahertz. So if you have some difficult questions, you could talk with me about it! I will be glad to talk with you about my major.

1. What is terahertz radiation and how is it converted into heat?

Terahertz radiation is a type of electromagnetic radiation that falls between the microwave and infrared regions of the electromagnetic spectrum. It has a frequency range of 0.1 to 10 terahertz. When terahertz radiation is absorbed by a material, it causes the molecules to vibrate, generating heat energy.

2. What are the applications of converting terahertz radiation into heat?

The conversion of terahertz radiation into heat has various applications in fields such as medicine, security, and materials science. It can be used for non-invasive imaging in medical diagnostics, detecting hidden objects in security screenings, and controlling chemical reactions in materials science research.

3. How is terahertz radiation converted into heat in a controlled manner?

In order to convert terahertz radiation into heat in a controlled manner, specific materials with high absorption coefficients for terahertz radiation are used. These materials are either naturally occurring or engineered to have this property. By controlling the intensity and duration of the terahertz radiation, the heat generated can also be controlled.

4. Are there any potential risks associated with terahertz radiation converted into heat?

Currently, there is no evidence to suggest that terahertz radiation converted into heat poses any significant health risks. The levels of radiation used in applications are generally low and do not penetrate deeply into the body. However, more research is needed to fully understand the potential risks.

5. What advancements are being made in the field of terahertz radiation conversion into heat?

Scientists are continuously researching and developing new materials and techniques for more efficient and controlled conversion of terahertz radiation into heat. This includes exploring new materials with higher absorption coefficients, as well as developing novel methods for controlling and manipulating the heat generation process.