1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Terminal masters program and PhDd

1. Jun 3, 2013 #1
    I have a question. If one decides to enroll in a terminal masters program (such as one designed for students with a full time job), then later leaves industry to pursue a PhD, how would that look on a PhD admittance committe vs taking the usual route of getting a masters with thesis first? Is there a significant difference in probabilities of acceptance/funding?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2013 #2

MarneMath

Education Advisor

Well, this isn't exactly the same, but here's my little story.

I was technically part of a PhD program (simply for funding yay) but after meeting the requirements for a masters, I decided to leave because I had a kid and I really like money. Anyway, recent life changes have given me the ability to restart a path towards a PhD (yay wife works a higher paying job!) so I applied to somewhat local Universities and have been accepted into all of them.*

Thus I am one example of a person who took a non-traditional route. Funding wise, less than expected, but this isn't a great concern of mine.

*I wasn't very far removed from my masters degree regarding work. My thesis was on statistical learning theory, and I used that in all my jobs, so it isn't like I left academics and went to Quality Control or something.

4. Jun 5, 2013 #3

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Our (Physics) graduate programs are terminal MS, and while I don't know of any student that has later applied to a PhD program, I suspect that as long as you pass their comprehensive exam (or the equivalent)- an exam that tests your mastery of coursework which must be passed prior to entering the research phase of a PhD program- I can't imagine it's an issue.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook