Terminal velocity and g-forces

In summary, g-force is the perceived force experienced by an object relative to its actual weight. In the case of a stable free-fall, the g-force is 1g until the object reaches terminal velocity, at which point the net force is zero but the g-force remains at 1g due to opposing forces. In true free-fall, such as in a zero-g environment, the g-force is 0g since there is no perceived force acting on the object. The term "g force" refers to apparent weight, not total force, and is equal to the actual weight in a non-accelerating object.
Parthalan
Hi,

I need a little help with my understanding of g-forces. From what I can gather, this "force" is the acceleration experienced by the object expressed as a multiple of g (the usual acceleration due to gravity).

What has confused me, though, is the Wikipedia page, which says that "A sky-diver in a stable free-fall experiences 1g (full weight) after reaching terminal velocity". At terminal velocity, isn't the net force zero, and the velocity constant (therefore no acceleration)? Wouldn't that mean that the g-force is 0g? The article also states that an object in free fall (which is falling at 1g relative to the earth) experiences 0g, or weightlessness. Similarly, what is the g-force of an object which is at rest (relative to the earth, I guess)?

It's a very basic physics course, so the stuff about inertial reference frames goes a bit beyond our level of comprehension. Can someone please help me get this straight? I *think* I'm considering this relative to the earth, when they're considering it as relative to something else. Do we need to consider forces aside from the regular gravitational acceleration somehow?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint; as yuo sit at your 'puter, you experience 1g of acceleration. If yu were sitting in a room that is in deep space (no nearby objects), and that room were accelerating in the direction of the cieling, yuo would exprience the same g-force. Think about where that g-force would be experienced by you, and what object in the room would be exerting that force against you. That should start your brain in the direction Wiki was talking about.

Parthalan said:
What has confused me, though, is the Wikipedia page, which says that "A sky-diver in a stable free-fall experiences 1g (full weight) after reaching terminal velocity". At terminal velocity, isn't the net force zero, and the velocity constant (therefore no acceleration)? Wouldn't that mean that the g-force is 0g?
If the net force is zero, it simply means there's no acceleration. This doesn't mean that there aren't opposing forces that a person can feel. If you're standing on the ground, gravity is pulling down on you throughout your body, and the ground is pushing up against your feet. In the case of a sky-diver at terminal velocity, gravity is pulling down through the sky-divers body, and aerodynamic drag is pushing+pulling upwards on the skydiver. These are opposing forces that can be felt via compression or tension.

In the case of true free-fall, such as bouncing on a trampoline, or in an amusement park ride or in an aircraft creating a "zero g" environment, then there is downwards acceleration due to gravity, but there is no feeling of force since all components of the object (or person) are being accelerated at the same rate (so there's no compression or tension to "feel").

The term "g force" almost always refers to apparent weight divided by actual weight, not total force divided by actual weight. Actual weight is simply the force acting on an object due to gravity alone. Apparent weight is the total force acting on the object less the actual weight. An object with a constant velocity (e.g., a skydiver who has reached terminal velocity or a person standing on the surface of the earth) has zero total force acting on it. The apparent weight of the object is not zero: It is equal in magnitude to the actual weight. The g-force is thus one in the case of a non-accelerating object.

1. What is terminal velocity?

Terminal velocity is the maximum speed at which an object falls through a medium, such as air or water, due to the opposing force of air resistance. At this speed, the force of gravity is equal to the force of air resistance, resulting in a constant velocity.

2. How is terminal velocity calculated?

Terminal velocity can be calculated using the equation v = √(2mg/ρACd), where v is the terminal velocity, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, ρ is the density of the medium, A is the cross-sectional area of the object, and Cd is the drag coefficient.

3. What factors affect terminal velocity?

The factors that affect terminal velocity include the mass and size of the object, the density and viscosity of the medium, and the shape and surface area of the object. Objects with a larger mass or surface area will have a higher terminal velocity, while a denser or more viscous medium will result in a lower terminal velocity.

4. What is the relationship between terminal velocity and g-forces?

Terminal velocity and g-forces are related as g-forces are the result of acceleration. When an object is in free fall and reaches terminal velocity, it is no longer accelerating and therefore experiences zero g-forces. However, if an object is accelerating or decelerating beyond its terminal velocity, it will experience g-forces.

5. Can an object experience negative g-forces during terminal velocity?

No, an object cannot experience negative g-forces during terminal velocity as it is no longer accelerating. Negative g-forces occur when an object decelerates, or slows down, causing a feeling of weightlessness. During terminal velocity, an object is moving at a constant speed, so there are no changes in acceleration to cause negative g-forces.