1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Test Question - Pulleys and Rubberbands

1. Feb 19, 2009 #1
    I missed this question on the test and I don't get it...

I attached a scanned image of the question. If you can't make out the text it reads:

Two identical rubber bands connect masses A and B to a string over a frictionless pulley of negligible mass. The amount of stretch is greater in the band that connects to:
    A
    B
    Both the same

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2009 #2
    If the two rubber bands are identical, they must stretch the same amount for the same amount of force acting on them. If you have studied springs, that's a good way to look at the way the bands work. (F=kx, same k)
    The next part to understanding this problem is considering how the free body diagram would look for each weight, specifically the tension on the bands. Note that the system is at equilibrium and consider the implications of that.

4. Feb 20, 2009 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

There's no reason to think that the system is in equilibrium. (Are the masses equal?)

Hint: How does the tension in the rubber bands relate to the tension in the string?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook