1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Testing of Impact Sensor-Verify G-Force Readings

1. Oct 26, 2007 #1

WRB

Testing of Impact Sensor--Verify G-Force Readings

I'm thinking either free fall test or pendulum
    but I was just curious if anyone could suggest an easier method

We are looking for a way to test a newly developed impact sensor and verify that we when it says it has been hit with 5 g's for example that it actually was.
    What would the most straightforward way to accuratly create a predictable known G impact?
    With freefall our shop has no accurate way to measure impact time and Pendulum seems to be a test for fracture strength.

Any help or advice is appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2007 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Does it have to be an impact? If your device can register a constant acceleration, the easiest thing to do would be to put in a rotating test frame, at the end of an arm. Rotate the arm at an angular velocity that would produce a centrifugal acceleration equivalent to 5 gs.

4. Oct 30, 2007 #3

WRB

Rotating it sounds like a good idea!
    We are going to go that route...any tips on setting up a device or the calculations?

Thanks

5. Oct 30, 2007 #4

WRB

I dont have my good physics book here, but I've been doing some research online and seems like the formula everyone uses is RCF=1.12r(rpm/1000)^2 (r is radius in mm)
    this would tell me what radius and and what rpm to use....or is this wrong since it dosent take angular velocity or arm/sensor weight into account?

Thanks

6. Oct 30, 2007 #5
    Twas it mine, I'd get out a Bruel and Kjaer catalogue. The equipment is probably rentable.

Then, most cities have decent calibration labs, NIST traceable, that could do this.

Or, if this is completely homebrew, buy a high frequency accelerometer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook