Testing of Impact Sensor-Verify G-Force Readings

In summary, The conversation is discussing ways to test and verify a newly developed impact sensor. The participants suggest using either a free fall test or a pendulum test, but there are limitations with both methods. One participant suggests using a rotating test frame to produce a centrifugal acceleration equivalent to 5 gs. They also discuss the use of RCF formula and the possibility of renting equipment or using a calibration lab.
WRB
Testing of Impact Sensor--Verify G-Force Readings

I'm thinking either free fall test or pendulum
but I was just curious if anyone could suggest an easier method

We are looking for a way to test a newly developed impact sensor and verify that we when it says it has been hit with 5 g's for example that it actually was.
What would the most straightforward way to accuratly create a predictable known G impact?
With freefall our shop has no accurate way to measure impact time and Pendulum seems to be a test for fracture strength.

Any help or advice is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Does it have to be an impact? If your device can register a constant acceleration, the easiest thing to do would be to put in a rotating test frame, at the end of an arm. Rotate the arm at an angular velocity that would produce a centrifugal acceleration equivalent to 5 gs.

Rotating it sounds like a good idea!
We are going to go that route...any tips on setting up a device or the calculations?

Thanks

I don't have my good physics book here, but I've been doing some research online and seems like the formula everyone uses is RCF=1.12r(rpm/1000)^2 (r is radius in mm)
this would tell me what radius and and what rpm to use...or is this wrong since it dosent take angular velocity or arm/sensor weight into account?

Thanks

Twas it mine, I'd get out a Bruel and Kjaer catalogue. The equipment is probably rentable.

Then, most cities have decent calibration labs, NIST traceable, that could do this.

Or, if this is completely homebrew, buy a high frequency accelerometer.

1. What is an impact sensor and why is it important to test its G-force readings?

An impact sensor is a device that detects and measures the force of impact on an object. It is important to test its G-force readings to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the sensor. This is especially crucial in safety-critical applications, such as in the automotive industry, where the sensor is used to trigger airbags during a crash.

2. How is the G-force reading of an impact sensor verified?

The G-force reading of an impact sensor can be verified through various methods, including laboratory testing, field testing, and comparison with a known standard. Laboratory testing involves subjecting the sensor to controlled impacts with known forces and comparing the readings to the expected values. Field testing involves using the sensor in real-world scenarios and comparing the readings to the expected values. Comparing the sensor's readings to a known standard involves using a calibrated sensor to verify the accuracy of the readings.

3. What factors can affect the G-force readings of an impact sensor?

There are several factors that can affect the G-force readings of an impact sensor, including temperature, humidity, vibration, and shock. These environmental factors can cause the sensor to produce inaccurate readings, leading to potential safety risks. It is important to test and calibrate the sensor regularly to ensure its accuracy and reliability.

4. Can an impact sensor's G-force readings change over time?

Yes, an impact sensor's G-force readings can change over time due to factors such as wear and tear, environmental conditions, or improper installation. Regular testing and calibration can help detect and correct any changes in the sensor's readings, ensuring its accuracy and reliability.

5. Are there any regulations or standards for testing impact sensor G-force readings?

Yes, there are regulations and standards set by various organizations, such as the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), for testing and verifying the G-force readings of impact sensors. These regulations and standards help ensure the safety and effectiveness of the sensors in different applications.