1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Testing sequence for boundaries and monotony

1. Jul 17, 2009 #1
    I'm trying to solve a problem from a practice test I was given. It says. Determine if the sequence is bounded and if it's decreasing or increasing:
    [tex]a = \frac{arcsin(1/n)}{arctan(1/n)}[/tex]

I don't really know where to start as I don't remember seeing how to test sequences for boundaries or anything like that and there's nothing on my book saying how to test it in the sequences chapter.

If anyone is interested, the practice test: http://profesores.usfq.edu.ec/valen/departamentomatematicas/files/exapractica/prac_destr_mat132/index.htm [Broken]

Spanish, sorry

Any hint?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The problem is really asking you about the behavior of the function f(x)=arcsin(1/x)/arctan(1/x) as x->infinity. The bounded part involves showing whether lim f(x) as x->infinity has a limit. Do you know l'Hopital's rule? For the monotone part can you show f'(x) has a constant sign for x>1? I think that's the hard part. I don't think it's a terribly easy problem.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  4. Jul 17, 2009 #3

lanedance

Homework Helper

Hi Juan Pablo

bounded from above means there exists some N such that an < N for all n

the sequence is monotonically increasing if an-an-1>0 for all n

hope this helps you get started

5. Jul 18, 2009 #4
    Thanks to you both. I helped a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook