1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Testing to see if the vector field could be a magnetic field.

1. Nov 27, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

By considering its divergence, test whether the following vector field could be a magnetic field:
    F=(a/r) cos∅ r Where a is constant. NOTE( the 'r' has the hat symbol ontop if it, unit vector i think)

2. Relevant equations

You may use that is cylindrical co-ordinates:
    ∇.F=(1/r)∂/∂r(rFr) + (1/r)∂F∅/∂∅ + ∂Fz/∂z

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to differentiate F with repect to r but the 'rFr' threw me! Then differentiating with respect to ∅ then z. But I still don't understand what they want me to test. I am lacking not only in the mathematical side to the question but also the theory. Please help, been at it for days!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2013 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

Magnetic fields are divergence-free (recall the Maxwell equation [itex]\nabla \cdot \mathbf{B} = 0[/itex]), so if [itex]\nabla \cdot \mathbf{F} \neq 0[/itex] then [itex]\mathbf{F}[/itex] cannot be a magnetic field. But if [itex]\nabla \cdot \mathbf{F} = 0[/itex] then it could.

[tex]\mathbf{F} \equiv
    F_r\,\hat{\mathbf{r}} + F_\phi\,\hat{\mathbf{\phi}} + F_z\,\hat{\mathbf{z}}
    = \frac ar \cos \phi\,\hat{\mathbf{r}}[/tex]

To determine [itex]\nabla \cdot \mathbf{F}[/itex] you must first determine the components of [itex]\mathbf{F}[/itex]. The unit vectors are orthogonal, so [itex]F_r = \mathbf{F} \cdot \hat{\mathbf{r}}[/itex] etc. We see then that [itex]F_\phi = F_z = 0[/itex] and
    [tex]
    F_r = \frac {a \cos \phi}r.
    [/tex]

4. Nov 27, 2013 #3
    Is the reason for Fϕ=Fz=0 because in the F function, there are no ∅ or z components?

So now all that is left is Fr = (a/r) cos ∅ so do i need the divergence of that (in other words do i differentiate that with respect to r?) And if it = 0, it may be a magnetic field and if it doesn't = 0 it can't be a magnetic field?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted