Testing to see if the vector field could be a magnetic field.

In summary: Magnetic fields are divergence-free (recall the Maxwell equation \nabla \cdot \mathbf{B} = 0), so if \nabla \cdot \mathbf{F} \neq 0 then \mathbf{F} cannot be a magnetic field. But if \nabla \cdot \mathbf{F} = 0 then it could.\mathbf{F} \equivF_r\,\hat{\mathbf{r}} + F_\phi\,\hat{\mathbf{\phi}} + F_z\,\hat{\mathbf{z}}= \frac ar \cos \phi\,\
Michael 37

Homework Statement

By considering its divergence, test whether the following vector field could be a magnetic field:
F=(a/r) cos∅ r Where a is constant. NOTE( the 'r' has the hat symbol ontop if it, unit vector i think)

Homework Equations

You may use that is cylindrical co-ordinates:
∇.F=(1/r)∂/∂r(rFr) + (1/r)∂F∅/∂∅ + ∂Fz/∂z

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to differentiate F with repect to r but the 'rFr' threw me! Then differentiating with respect to ∅ then z. But I still don't understand what they want me to test. I am lacking not only in the mathematical side to the question but also the theory. Please help, been at it for days!

Physics news on Phys.org
Michael 37 said:

Homework Statement

By considering its divergence, test whether the following vector field could be a magnetic field:
F=(a/r) cos∅ r Where a is constant. NOTE( the 'r' has the hat symbol ontop if it, unit vector i think)

Homework Equations

You may use that is cylindrical co-ordinates:
∇.F=(1/r)∂/∂r(rFr) + (1/r)∂F∅/∂∅ + ∂Fz/∂z

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to differentiate F with repect to r but the 'rFr' threw me! Then differentiating with respect to ∅ then z. But I still don't understand what they want me to test. I am lacking not only in the mathematical side to the question but also the theory. Please help, been at it for days!

Magnetic fields are divergence-free (recall the Maxwell equation [itex]\nabla \cdot \mathbf{B} = 0[/itex]), so if [itex]\nabla \cdot \mathbf{F} \neq 0[/itex] then [itex]\mathbf{F}[/itex] cannot be a magnetic field. But if [itex]\nabla \cdot \mathbf{F} = 0[/itex] then it could.

[tex]\mathbf{F} \equiv
F_r\,\hat{\mathbf{r}} + F_\phi\,\hat{\mathbf{\phi}} + F_z\,\hat{\mathbf{z}}
= \frac ar \cos \phi\,\hat{\mathbf{r}}[/tex]

To determine [itex]\nabla \cdot \mathbf{F}[/itex] you must first determine the components of [itex]\mathbf{F}[/itex]. The unit vectors are orthogonal, so [itex]F_r = \mathbf{F} \cdot \hat{\mathbf{r}}[/itex] etc. We see then that [itex]F_\phi = F_z = 0[/itex] and
[tex]
F_r = \frac {a \cos \phi}r.
[/tex]

Is the reason for Fϕ=Fz=0 because in the F function, there are no ∅ or z components?

So now all that is left is Fr = (a/r) cos ∅ so do i need the divergence of that (in other words do i differentiate that with respect to r?) And if it = 0, it may be a magnetic field and if it doesn't = 0 it can't be a magnetic field?

1. "What is a vector field?"

A vector field is a mathematical concept that describes a quantity, such as force or velocity, that is associated with every point in a given space. It can be represented by arrows, with the length and direction of the arrows indicating the magnitude and direction of the quantity at that point.

2. "How is a magnetic field different from other vector fields?"

A magnetic field is a type of vector field that is created by moving electric charges, such as electrons. It is a fundamental force of nature that can exert a force on other moving electric charges.

3. "How can you test if a vector field is a magnetic field?"

One way to test if a vector field is a magnetic field is to use a compass. If the compass needle aligns with the direction of the vector field, it is likely a magnetic field. Another way is to use a magnet and observe if other magnets or metal objects are affected by the field.

4. "What are some real-life applications of magnetic fields?"

Magnetic fields have many practical applications, such as in motors and generators, magnetic levitation trains, MRI machines, and particle accelerators. They are also used in everyday objects like speakers, headphones, and credit cards.

5. "Can a vector field be both electric and magnetic?"

Yes, a vector field can be both electric and magnetic. In fact, the two are closely related and are often described together as the electromagnetic field. This field is essential for many technologies, including electricity and radio communication.