1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Tetrahedron car crash prevention

1. Feb 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Imagine a planet in the shape of a regular tetrahedron (its surface consists of 4 equilateral triangles). Suppose that on each face there is a car traveling at a constant speed in clockwise direction along the edges bounding the face. Can they travel without crashing?

2. Relevant equations

I dont know how and where to start working on this problem

3. The attempt at a solution

I really need help :(

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2010 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Have a look at this picture:
    tetrahedroncars.jpg

Suppose, for example, the red car is on edge 3. Convince yourself that neither the yellow or green cars can be on the "opposite" edge 5 to prevent future collisions. The same idea works for each edge and its opposite. Does that give you any ideas?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  4. Feb 14, 2010 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, the OP seems to have disappeared, but I still think it is an interesting question. I think my last post leads to a proof that 4 cars can't do it. Even assuming there are traffic circles at the vertices, they will have a head-on collision along some edge.

But what about three cars? Without traffic circles at the vertices, so they can't arrive at a vertex at the same time, I don't think they can do it either, but I don't have a proof. If you assume they have traffic circles, then three cars can do it precisely by arriving at the vertices at the same time. Killing a bit of time with Maple, I made the following gif to illustrate it:

http://math.asu.edu/~kurtz/pix/cars.gif [Broken]

You have to imagine the traffic circles. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Feb 18, 2010 #4
    wow, thanks a lot. So, that means they can not travel without crashing. Even, 3 cars can't.

6. Feb 18, 2010 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I haven't proven that three cars can't do it without traffic circles, but I suspect they can't. The attached example shows an effort where they don't arrive at the intersections simultaneously. Unfortunately, there is an accident:

http://math.asu.edu/~kurtz/pix/cars2.gif [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook