Text file with all English words and their part of speech

  • Thread starter Thread starter Superposed_Cat
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    English File Text
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 8K views
Superposed_Cat
Messages
388
Reaction score
5
Hey all, been wanting to get into NLP (natural language processing) but I require a text file with a list of all English words (not the definitions) and a tag indicating their part of speech, I know it exists because I had it on my old laptop but I can't seem to refind it. Any help apreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Superposed_Cat said:
Hey all, been wanting to get into NLP (natural language processing) but I require a text file with a list of all English words (not the definitions) and a tag indicating their part of speech, I know it exists because I had it on my old laptop but I can't seem to refind it. Any help apreciated.
ALL the words in English? That's going to be one hell of a file. And mostly useless. Of the 1,000,000+ words in English (depending on who you believe), an average speaker has a vocab of about 6,000 to 8,000 words and a highly educated one has under 20,000 so even highly educated English speakers use less than 2% of the words in the language (and may have "receptive" knowledge of another 1% or less). I suspect that your list problably had 20,000 to 30,000 words, not "all" the words in English.
 
I won't be able to help you find your file, but if you want a dictionary with words in it https://github.com/TheBerkin/Rantionary/blob/master/Prepositions.dic is one. It has pronunciation as well.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
http://wordnet.princeton.edu/
WordNet® is a large lexical database of English. Nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs are grouped into sets of cognitive synonyms (synsets), each expressing a distinct concept. Synsets are interlinked by means of conceptual-semantic and lexical relations

These guys are often used as corpora for natural language, and their database is downloadable (free). Python NLTK uses this, as do a lot of other NLP libraries.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jim mcnamara
You might want to search for the 'Brown Corpus', one of the earliest best known corpus with parts of speech. I don't think any two groups of computational linguists agree on the parts of speech; you may not even need parts of speech data depending on what you're doing.