Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Textbook on Calculus and Fourier Series

1. Jun 16, 2007 #1

I'm looking for a recommendation for a good textbook which will deepen my understanding of intermediate/advanced mathematics to help me understand the above two (well I know one is subsection of the other) subjects. I would like to learn Fourier series for use with musical exploits.

I have an engineering degree but I've always struggled with the maths and with that needed to understand Fourier series I'm really, really struggling.

So I could do with a sensible recommendation of a readable (not an expert) textbook which will boost my maths from foundation to intermediate level ideally.

Problem is I don't know where to look can anyone help me with a good recommendation?

I'd be most in your debt. Thanks :wink:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2007 #2
    Calculus or analysis?

I'm working thorugh Kolmogorov and Fomin's Introductory Real Analysis, and it's really nice. It's a Dover book, so it's pretty cheap as well.
  4. Jun 16, 2007 #3
    For real analysis (which is probably what you want), a lot of people like Walter Rudin's Principles of Mathematical Analysis. It's very dense, though.
  5. Jun 16, 2007 #4
    i have 3 or 4 textbooks that will help you - my engineer fellow - with fourier . what is your email ?
  6. Jun 17, 2007 #5
    Hi it's chris330330@hotmail.com. Thanks for the replies chaps I'll research those others too!
  7. Jun 17, 2007 #6
    I've ordered a copy from Amazon I got it for about £7 all in postage too, thanks mate :wink:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?