1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Textbooks for Electromagnetics, Dielectrics, Magnetic field and Polarisation

1. Jun 15, 2017 #1
    I am a Graduate student in Electrical Engineering. I have to work on Electromagnetic, Dielectric, Magnetic field and Polarization for my project. But my problem is I do not have a good background in this course. Now, I really need it in graduate level. My question is, can you guys introduce me a reference, textbook or whatever can help to improve myself and get necessary information from it....Almost I have no idea in this concept of EE or Physics...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2017 #2

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are many books on electromagnetic theory and electromagnetic properties of materials. Could you give us a little more information about what your background is and the nature of your project? I think recommendations would be quite different if you were focused on the solid state physics of dielectric and magnetic materials in static situations versus developing models of complex media to use in wave propagation simulations versus ...

jason

4. Jun 15, 2017 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

5. Jun 16, 2017 #4
    My background is Computer Engineering ( Now EE)and to be honest I have almost no idea about electromagnetic( I took electromagnetic in my undergrad). each time I hear Maxwell's equation, it seems to me it is the first time I am hearing it. It means I just passed this course with an awful grade. But, for my work, I have to get background very quickly and even do simulations for my group. It is about seeking the magnetic and electric. So, what I need is to know EM very well. Please give me a basic and also a graduate level reference. To start from the very early definitions....
    Thanks

6. Jun 16, 2017 #5
  7. Jun 16, 2017 #6

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Well, the standard textbook for physicists on the graduate level is Jackson, Classical Electrodynamics.

8. Jun 16, 2017 #7

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you feel you don't remember E&M, start off with and undergrad text, Wangsness or something else before Jackson.

9. Jun 16, 2017 #8

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Realistically, you won't be able to learn all of EM very well very quickly. I recommend going to your university library and looking at the books in the engineering electromagnetics section. For undergrad books, considire
    Cheng, "Field and Wave Electromagnetics"
    Ida, "Engineering Electromagnetics"
    Hayt and Buck, "Engineering Electromagnetics"
    Kraus, "Electromagnetics"
    Lorrain and Corson, "Electromagnetic fields and waves"
    and on the shelves near these. Find one or two that work for you.

For graduate level books it really does depend on what you really care about ("seeking the magnetic and electric" doesn't give us any information). If you are modeling static fields, then I think Jackson's book is a good place to start for theory (most graduate engineering books don't even mention static fields)
    Jackson, "classical electrodynamics". Is written for physicists but the first 9 or 10 chapters (especially in 3rd edition) are worth a look

Standard graduate engineering electromagnetics texts you should look at in your library would be
    Balanis, "advanced engineering electromagnetics"
    Harrington, "time harmonic electromagnetic fields"
    Jin, "theory and computation of electromagnetic fields" (which has some stuff on numerics as well)
    Sadiku, "numerical techniques in electromagnetics"

One final book that may be worth a look is,
    Fleish, "a student's guide to Maxwell's equations" - it gets rave reviews on amazon

So go to your library and look around. After you find a few books, it will take some real effort to get up to speed but that is part of graduate school!

jason

10. Jun 16, 2017 #9
    Thank you for your help.

11. Jun 16, 2017 #10
    Thank you for your help.

12. Jun 16, 2017 #11
    Thank you for your full response. I will go through Cheng ( I can remember was our UG reference textbook but I afraid of it) and also Ida.
    Thank you again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted