Textbooks for Electromagnetics, Dielectrics, Magnetic field and Polarisation

In summary, Jason does not have a background in electromagnetism but he needs to learn it for his work. He recommends going to the library and finding books on electromagnetics that are written for physicists.
Artyman
I am a Graduate student in Electrical Engineering. I have to work on Electromagnetic, Dielectric, Magnetic field and Polarization for my project. But my problem is I do not have a good background in this course. Now, I really need it in graduate level. My question is, can you guys introduce me a reference, textbook or whatever can help to improve myself and get necessary information from it...Almost I have no idea in this concept of EE or Physics...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are many books on electromagnetic theory and electromagnetic properties of materials. Could you give us a little more information about what your background is and the nature of your project? I think recommendations would be quite different if you were focused on the solid state physics of dielectric and magnetic materials in static situations versus developing models of complex media to use in wave propagation simulations versus ...

jason

jasonRF said:
There are many books on electromagnetic theory and electromagnetic properties of materials. Could you give us a little more information about what your background is and the nature of your project? I think recommendations would be quite different if you were focused on the solid state physics of dielectric and magnetic materials in static situations versus developing models of complex media to use in wave propagation simulations versus ...

jason
My background is Computer Engineering ( Now EE)and to be honest I have almost no idea about electromagnetic( I took electromagnetic in my undergrad). each time I hear Maxwell's equation, it seems to me it is the first time I am hearing it. It means I just passed this course with an awful grade. But, for my work, I have to get background very quickly and even do simulations for my group. It is about seeking the magnetic and electric. So, what I need is to know EM very well. Please give me a basic and also a graduate level reference. To start from the very early definitions...
Thanks

Artyman said:
My background is Computer Engineering ( Now EE)and to be honest I have almost no idea about electromagnetic( I took electromagnetic in my undergrad). each time I hear Maxwell's equation, it seems to me it is the first time I am hearing it. It means I just passed this course with an awful grade. But, for my work, I have to get background very quickly and even do simulations for my group. It is about seeking the magnetic and electric. So, what I need is to know EM very well. Please give me a basic and also a graduate level reference. To start from the very early definitions...
Thanks
Well, the standard textbook for physicists on the graduate level is Jackson, Classical Electrodynamics.

If you feel you don't remember E&M, start off with and undergrad text, Wangsness or something else before Jackson.

Artyman said:
. But, for my work, I have to get background very quickly and even do simulations for my group. It is about seeking the magnetic and electric. So, what I need is to know EM very well.
Thanks
Realistically, you won't be able to learn all of EM very well very quickly. I recommend going to your university library and looking at the books in the engineering electromagnetics section. For undergrad books, considire
Cheng, "Field and Wave Electromagnetics"
Ida, "Engineering Electromagnetics"
Hayt and Buck, "Engineering Electromagnetics"
Kraus, "Electromagnetics"
Lorrain and Corson, "Electromagnetic fields and waves"
and on the shelves near these. Find one or two that work for you.

For graduate level books it really does depend on what you really care about ("seeking the magnetic and electric" doesn't give us any information). If you are modeling static fields, then I think Jackson's book is a good place to start for theory (most graduate engineering books don't even mention static fields)
Jackson, "classical electrodynamics". Is written for physicists but the first 9 or 10 chapters (especially in 3rd edition) are worth a look

Standard graduate engineering electromagnetics texts you should look at in your library would be
Balanis, "advanced engineering electromagnetics"
Harrington, "time harmonic electromagnetic fields"
Jin, "theory and computation of electromagnetic fields" (which has some stuff on numerics as well)
Sadiku, "numerical techniques in electromagnetics"

One final book that may be worth a look is,
Fleish, "a student's guide to Maxwell's equations" - it gets rave reviews on amazon

So go to your library and look around. After you find a few books, it will take some real effort to get up to speed but that is part of graduate school!

jason

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Dr Transport said:
If you feel you don't remember E&M, start off with and undergrad text, Wangsness or something else before Jackson.
Thank you for your help.

vanhees71 said:
Well, the standard textbook for physicists on the graduate level is Jackson, Classical Electrodynamics.
Thank you for your help.

jasonRF said:
Realistically, you won't be able to learn all of EM very well very quickly. I recommend going to your university library and looking at the books in the engineering electromagnetics section. For undergrad books, considire
Cheng, "Field and Wave Electromagnetics"
Ida, "Engineering Electromagnetics"
Hayt and Buck, "Engineering Electromagnetics"
Kraus, "Electromagnetics"
Lorrain and Corson, "Electromagnetic fields and waves"
and on the shelves near these. Find one or two that work for you.

For graduate level books it really does depend on what you really care about ("seeking the magnetic and electric" doesn't give us any information). If you are modeling static fields, then I think Jackson's book is a good place to start for theory (most graduate engineering books don't even mention static fields)
Jackson, "classical electrodynamics". Is written for physicists but the first 9 or 10 chapters (especially in 3rd edition) are worth a look

Standard graduate engineering electromagnetics texts you should look at in your library would be
Balanis, "advanced engineering electromagnetics"
Harrington, "time harmonic electromagnetic fields"
Jin, "theory and computation of electromagnetic fields" (which has some stuff on numerics as well)
Sadiku, "numerical techniques in electromagnetics"

One final book that may be worth a look is,
Fleish, "a student's guide to Maxwell's equations" - it gets rave reviews on amazon

So go to your library and look around. After you find a few books, it will take some real effort to get up to speed but that is part of graduate school!

jason
Thank you for your full response. I will go through Cheng ( I can remember was our UG reference textbook but I afraid of it) and also Ida.
Thank you again.

1. What topics are typically covered in a textbook on Electromagnetics, Dielectrics, Magnetic field and Polarisation?

Textbooks on these subjects typically cover the fundamental principles and equations of electromagnetism, including Maxwell's equations and their applications. They also cover topics such as electric and magnetic fields, dielectric materials, polarization, and how these concepts relate to each other.

2. What level of math is required for understanding these textbooks?

A strong understanding of calculus and vector calculus is necessary for understanding these textbooks. Some knowledge of differential equations and linear algebra may also be helpful.

3. Are there any recommended prerequisites for studying these subjects?

It is recommended to have a strong foundation in physics, particularly in mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and mathematical methods. Some knowledge of basic circuit analysis and differential equations is also helpful.

4. How can these textbooks be useful for students and researchers in the field of electrical engineering?

These textbooks can provide a comprehensive overview of the fundamental principles and equations of electromagnetism, which are essential for understanding and analyzing electrical systems. They can also serve as a reference for researchers in the field, providing a deeper understanding of the concepts and their applications.

5. Are there any notable differences between textbooks on these subjects?

While the fundamental concepts and principles are similar, some textbooks may focus more on theoretical aspects while others may have a more practical approach. Additionally, some textbooks may cover advanced topics such as electromagnetic waves and radiation, while others may have more emphasis on applications in specific fields such as telecommunications or electronics.