1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

TextBooks for Some Topics in Mathematics

1. Nov 15, 2014 #1
    Hi,
    I need suggestions for picking up some standard textbooks for the following set of topics as given below:

Ordinary and singular points of linear differential equations

Series solutions of linear homogenous differential equations about ordinary and regular singular points

Hyper-geometric, Legendre and Bessel functions

Chebyshev, Hermite and Legendre polynomials and their properties

I need books that would clear me the concepts with little hassle or confusion and which are really easy to follow as self teaching guides.

Any suggestion would be highly appreciable!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2014 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Have you checked out the books already suggested?

4. Nov 16, 2014 #3
    I have myself worked through Engineering Mathematics (Stroud) and I'm half-way through Advanced Engineering Mathematics (Stroud). These two books cover many of the things you mention above and the author explains the concepts in a very straightforward way, no prior knowledge on the topics is needed.

5. Nov 17, 2014 #4
    If you are talking about the list of suggested textbooks it's exhaustive and I am actually confused as to which one to pick to get started.Could you suggest one?

6. Nov 17, 2014 #5
    Thanks astrobird!!!!

If I guess it correctly are you an engineer graduate?
    I was considering Kresyszig but now I would take a look at Stroud.

7. Nov 18, 2014 #6
    Welcome!
    No, I'm not an engineer graduate, actually I have a degree in Marketing but I want to study physics now which means I need to understand the math too :) My level of math knowledge was quite limited before I started, which is one of the reasons I chose Stroud, as especially the first book starts with the very basics. I read a lot of review about these books on Amazon at the time and people were quite positive so it seemed like the right choice and for me it works fine. I can't comment on Kresyszig or any other book I'm afraid, I only tried Stroud so far when it comes to math.

8. Nov 18, 2014 #7
  9. Nov 19, 2014 #8
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted