Textbooks for the math of a B.S. in Physics and Engineering?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Fraze
Messages
2
Reaction score
1
Should one focus on just the ability to DO the math or also the theory behind it? Would a the book " ISBN-10: 0521679710 " suffice or should I do something to the effect of Spivak's or Apostol's calculus?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't speak ISBN, so I cant' really address your question. For applied math (engineering/physics), I recommend books like Sokolnikoff & Redheffer, and the one by Kreyszig.
 
Kreyszig is a good choice, I think. At least it was for me when I did my B.S. in the 80s in EE. We did have Apostol as a reference in our freshman calculus class, but it's going to be too formal and proofy and really meant for math majors and not suited for what you want. Same for Spivak.