Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Textronix 2205-40 scope rebuild question

1. Mar 12, 2016 #1
    Hi Guys,

I have a Textronix 2205-40 that was given to me. It turns on and there is a wide horizontal line so the CRT it self is working and no amplification.
    I have never tried to rebuild a scope. I looked at the service manual and it looks pretty complex. I have a new 100mhz digital scope and a Hameg 20mhz analog scope so I am not hurting for a scope.
    Have any idea how hard these type scopes are to rebuild in general? Is this model scope worth rebuilding??

Thanks,

Billy

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2016 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hey Billy

like all old electronic things, electro replacement is top of the list

dunno if you are aware of the old restoration trick that many of us use.....
    in line with keeping the piece of gear looking original, and for large PSU caps, it is common to hollow out the guts of
    the old caps and install the new ( and always physically smaller) replacement caps inside the old cans

Dave

4. Mar 12, 2016 #3

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

ohhh I forgot to mention
    there's a very active Tektronix scope yahoo group I have been part of for many years

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TekScopes/

ohhh and note it should be a k not a x ..... Tektronix, not Textronix :wink:

D

5. Mar 12, 2016 #4
    Hi Dave,

I have not poked around yet but the cap issue was first on the list.

Thanks,

Billy

6. Mar 12, 2016 #5
    LOL...I can not spell Billie...lol

7. Mar 12, 2016 #6

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

well spelt either way, depending on gender, I think :wink:

8. Mar 12, 2016 #7
    Plus I am from Texas...lol

9. Mar 12, 2016 #8

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

ohh well that explains everything haha :rolleyes::wink: .... sorry just having fun :wink:

haven't been to TX since 2006, on one of my storm chasing trips to the USA
    Sorry for sidetracking your thread

Dave

10. Mar 12, 2016 #9
    I live in Miami, Homestead actually. When everyone finds out I am from Texas I will most likely get banned from the site..lol

I will ask the question on the link you gave me also....plus spell it right!!!

11. Mar 12, 2016 #10

Averagesupernova

Gold Member

A wide horizontal line as in out of focus? Does it sweep? If so that sounds like any easy fix unless there is an oscillation in the vertical circuit. An oscillation could cause something like this depending on where it is occurring. The scope may not be able to trigger on an internal oscillation.

12. Mar 12, 2016 #11

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wasn't aware or even thought of that. Thanks Dave. :bow:

13. Mar 12, 2016 #12
    Hi,

After messing with the scope a bit, most everything seems to be working except the focus control. I have a function generator hooked up and the scope changes both with frequency and amplitude as I change the frequency generator. I can see the wave form...several types. I had the case off a few days ago and there is a long shaft that goes to the focus pot and I think it is turning the pot but I need to check. I will see tomorrow if I can dig up the value of the pot and what it controls....getting late here.

Cheers, and thanks for the help.

Billy

14. Mar 13, 2016 #13

Svein

Science Advisor

I seem to remember that one generation of Tektronix oscilloscopes used Nuvistors in the amplification path. Are those still available?

P.S: I checked - the answer is here: http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/Nuvistor.

15. Mar 13, 2016 #14
    Tektronix also made conversion kits to replace Nuvistors with Transistors.
    The Nuvistors couldn't stand the vibration and shocks of a portable instrument and had a very short life. Customers didn't like that.

16. Mar 13, 2016 #15

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Thanks for the yahoo Tektronix group link

i have a 2211 in the "fix me" pile....

looking forward to your adventures...

17. Mar 13, 2016 #16
    I dislike seeing any piece of electronics gear that has a usefulness be placed in the junk pile. There are plenty of young people just starting out in electronics who would love to have a working scope like this. I will most likely repair this scope and give it to someone in need. I am also sure I will most likely need some guidance in making that happen. I also think it is the responsibility of those who have skills in certain fields to share what they know and promote learning and education. I assumed from the start that this forum does just that and my assumptions have been proven to be correct. So...thanks to all of you who have helped me to learn new things.

As time goes by, I hope that I can be helpful to others who log on here looking to learn new things. I don't know much but I am always willing to help.

Cheers,

Billy

18. Mar 13, 2016 #17

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Hear Hear !

We're all ignorant, just on different subjects.

19. Mar 13, 2016 #18
    Well Jim, my ignorance spans quite a large number of subjects...lol

Here is a short video of the scope in question.

My understand of oscilloscopes and how to use them is pretty limited to begin with so repairing one will require learning a bunch of new stuff I am sure.

Billy

20. Mar 13, 2016 #19

Averagesupernova

Gold Member

Doesn't look like the trigger is working or maybe no set correctly?

21. Mar 13, 2016 #20
    Well...the fact that the display is showing the same line that is very wide with or without a signal and no change happens when I move the focus controls assuming that the focus control can even address this condition would indicate that the focus control is not working.

The trigger has to be working because I see the wave form and it changes in a normal way when I change the controls on the function generator. The scope is displaying the wave...just not as a fine line as one would expect. I assume several other repair issues will be required to have the information displayed in a correct and calibrated manner. Lots I don't know about how scopes work in general so I guess anythings is possible.

Billy

EDIT: As I have looked at another analog scope I have I am starting to think the focus control is not the cause of the issue

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted