What are the allowed energies for a quantum harmonic oscillator?

In summary, the allowed energies of a quantum simple harmonic oscillator are 0, hf, 2hf etc. and by the schrodinger equation, you get E(n)=(n+1/2) hbar omega. However, the remaining difference is just a constant (0.5\hbar\omega) which can be ignored.
Moham1287
Hi all

I was just looking through my notes from my first year of my degree, and I couldn't find a missing bit. I know that Planck's postulate states that the allowed energies of a quantum simple harmonic oscillator are 0, hf, 2hf etc and that by the Schroedinger equation, you get E(n)=(n+1/2) hbar omega, but I can't explain why each of these give different answers. A quick google didn't bring up anything not password protected, and I don't have my textbooks with me at the moment. Anything to clear this up would be much appreciated!
Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Moham1287 said:
I know that Planck's postulate states that the allowed energies of a quantum simple harmonic oscillator are 0, hf, 2hf etc

Planck was dealing with electromagnetic radiation, not the simple harmonic oscillator (mass on a spring and similar things).

Moham1287 said:
...the allowed energies of a quantum simple harmonic oscillator are 0, hf, 2hf etc and that by the Schroedinger equation, you get E(n)=(n+1/2) hbar omega, but I can't explain why each of these give different answers...

[tex]\hbar\omega=hf[/tex]

...the remaining difference is just a constant ([tex]0.5\hbar\omega[/tex]) which can be ignored.

I.e., the Hamiltonians

[tex]
H=\frac{p^2}{2m}+\frac{kx^2}{2}
[/tex]

and

[tex]
H'=\frac{p^2}{2m}+\frac{kx^2}{2}-\hbar\sqrt{\frac{k}{4m}}
[/tex]

describe the same physics since they differ only by a constant... and furthermore, it should be obvious that they are equal in the classical limit.

There's actually a little known paper by Einstein, where he first figures out that the Harmonic Oscillator needs a non-zero ground state energy, and he sticks in the 0.5 \hbar \omega by hand. Can't recall or pull up the citation. Anyone know what I'm talking about.

According to schrodinger equation,the particle cannot have zero energy.Because the solutions are (v+1/2)hf,v is vibrational quantum number.If v happens to be -1,then energy is -ve,considering zero potential the KE is -ve and so is momentum.This is not in correspondance with uncertainity principle.

jtbell is correct also,I am sorry to misunderstand your question.Planck was dealing with the blackbody radiations and schrodnger with quantum mechanical harmonic oscillator.

Related to What are the allowed energies for a quantum harmonic oscillator?

1. What is a simple harmonic oscillator (SHO)?

A simple harmonic oscillator (SHO) is a physical system that exhibits repetitive motion back and forth around an equilibrium position, with a force that is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position.

2. What are the allowed energies for an SHO?

The allowed energies for an SHO are discrete and quantized, meaning they can only take on certain values. These energies are given by the equation En = (n + 1/2)ħω, where n is the energy quantum number, ħ is the reduced Planck's constant, and ω is the angular frequency of the oscillator.

3. How does the energy of an SHO change with the energy quantum number?

The energy of an SHO increases with the energy quantum number, meaning the higher the energy quantum number, the higher the energy of the oscillator. This is because the energy levels are evenly spaced and increase in increments of ħω.

4. What is the significance of the allowed energies for an SHO?

The allowed energies for an SHO have many important implications in physics, including in the study of molecular vibrations, the behavior of atoms in solids, and the properties of light. They also play a crucial role in understanding the quantization of energy in quantum mechanics.

5. How do the allowed energies for an SHO relate to the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of quantum systems, predicts the allowed energies for an SHO. The equation uses the concept of energy quantization to explain the discrete energy levels of the SHO. The allowed energies are the solutions to the Schrödinger equation for the SHO potential.