Calculating Expected Values for 3D Harmonic Oscillator Wave Function

In summary, the conversation discusses the wave function for a three-dimensional oscillator, which can be written as ##\Psi(\mathbf r) = Ce^{-\frac{1}{2}(r/r_0)^2}##, where ##C## and ##r_0## are constants and ##r## is the distance from the origin. The conversation then goes on to calculate the most probable value for ##r##, the expected value of ##r##, and the expected value of ##1/r## using the normed wave function and the expected value formula for a function. After some discussion and corrections, it is concluded that the most probable value for ##r## is at ##r_0##, and the expected value of
Incand

Homework Statement

The wave function for the three dimensional oscillator can be written
##\Psi(\mathbf r) = Ce^{-\frac{1}{2}(r/r_0)^2}##
where ##C## and ##r_0## are constants and ##r## the distance from the origen.
Calculate
a) The most probably value for ##r##
b) The expected value of ##r##
c) The expected value of ##1/r##.

Homework Equations

Expected value of function with a normed wave function
##<f(r)> = \int dr \Psi(r)^*f(r) \Psi ##.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) It is my understanding that the most probably value is the maximum value of ##\Psi^* \Psi## or equivalently in this case the maximum of ##\Psi## which is at ##r=0##.
The answer to the exercise however disagrees and says it's at ##r_0##.
If the oscillator is centered at ##r_0## this makes physical sense with the most probably value of course being the centre but it doesn't seem to agree with maximizing the function.

b) Norming the wave function
##1 = C^2 \int_0^\infty e^{-r^2/r_0^2}dr = C^2 \int_0^\infty r_0 e^{-s^2}ds = C^2\frac{r_0 \sqrt{\pi}}{2}## and hence that ##C^2 = \frac{2}{r_0 \sqrt{\pi}}##.
The expected value of ##r## is then
##<r> = \frac{2}{r_0\sqrt{\pi}} \int_0^\infty re^{-r^2/r_0^2} dr = \frac{r_0}{\sqrt{\pi}}##.
The answer however says ##\frac{2r_0}{\sqrt{\pi}}##.

c) For this one, I get a divergent integral ##<1/r> = \frac{2}{r_0\sqrt{\pi}} \int_0^\infty \frac{e^{-r^2/r_0^2}}{r} dr##.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're very modest to post QM under "introductory" homework. In any case, your problems stem from not thinking enough about integrating in spherical coordinates.

Likes Incand
Well it's a first course in QM for second year university students (at an European university) so I felt it being more introductory. The advanced forum I thought were mainly for graduate students.

Thanks! I forgot I have to integrate over the volume in this case.
Norming the function
##1 = C^2 \int_0^\infty \int_0^\pi \int_0^{2\pi} r^2\sin \theta e^{-r^2/r_0^2}d\phi d\theta dr = C^2 4\pi \frac{\sqrt{\pi}r_0^3}{4} = C^2 \pi \sqrt{\pi} r_0^3 \Longrightarrow C^2 = \frac{1}{\pi \sqrt{\pi }r_0^3}##.

The expected value is then
##<r> = \frac{1}{\pi \sqrt{\pi} r_0^3} 4\pi \int_0^\infty r^3e^{-r^2/r_0^2}dr = \frac{1}{\pi \sqrt{\pi} r_0^3} 4\pi \frac{r_0^4}{2} = \frac{2r_0}{\sqrt{\pi}}## as expected!

And for ##1/r##
##<1/r> = \frac{4}{\sqrt{\pi} r_0^3} \int_0^\infty re^{-r^2/r_0^2}dr = \frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi} r_0}##.

However as for the a) question I'm still not sure? that doesn't have anything with integrating to do.

Incand said:
However as for the a) question I'm still not sure? that doesn't have anything with integrating to do.

Why not calculate the probability that the particle is found near a given distance from the origin: between ##R## and ##R+ \epsilon## say?

Likes Incand
After thinking about this for a while it seems my error here just as before is that I need the volume element.

As far as I understand it, the probability distribution is
##P(\mathbf r) = |\Psi(\mathbf r)|^2 = \Psi^*(\mathbf r) \Psi(\mathbf r).##
And the probability of finding the particle within a certain volume is
##\int_V P(\mathbf r) dV##.
In our case that is
##I = \frac{4}{\sqrt{\pi}r_0^3} \int_R^{R+\epsilon} r^2e^{-r^2/r_0^2}dr##
So we want to find the ##R## that maximizes ##\int_R^{R+\epsilon} r^2e^{-r^2/r_0^2}dr## when ##\epsilon \to 0##.
However since this seem complicated we can instead maximize the integrand ##r^2e^{-r^2/r_0^2}## which has a maximum for ##r=r_0##.
So I need to account for the scale factors when I'm not working in Cartesian coordinates. Thanks for helping!

Incand said:
After thinking about this for a while it seems my error here just as before is that I need the volume element.

As far as I understand it, the probability distribution is
##P(\mathbf r) = |\Psi(\mathbf r)|^2 = \Psi^*(\mathbf r) \Psi(\mathbf r).##
And the probability of finding the particle within a certain volume is
##\int_V P(\mathbf r) dV##.
In our case that is
##I = \frac{4}{\sqrt{\pi}r_0^3} \int_R^{R+\epsilon} r^2e^{-r^2/r_0^2}dr##
So we want to find the ##R## that maximizes ##\int_R^{R+\epsilon} r^2e^{-r^2/r_0^2}dr## when ##\epsilon \to 0##.
However since this seem complicated we can instead maximize the integrand ##r^2e^{-r^2/r_0^2}## which has a maximum for ##r=r_0##.
So I need to account for the scale factors when I'm not working in Cartesian coordinates. Thanks for helping!

Yes. The thing you're missing is that the limit of an integral such as the one you have is simply the function value at the point:

##\lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0} \int_{R}^{R+\epsilon} f(r) dr = f(R)##

So, maximising that integral is equivalent to maximising ##f##

Likes Incand
Thanks for pointing that out. I had forgotten about the mean value theorem!

Related to Calculating Expected Values for 3D Harmonic Oscillator Wave Function

What is a 3d Harmonic Oscillator?

A 3d Harmonic Oscillator is a physical system that exhibits harmonic motion in three dimensions. It consists of a mass attached to a spring that can move in three different directions, resulting in oscillations along all three axes.

How is the motion of a 3d Harmonic Oscillator described?

The motion of a 3d Harmonic Oscillator can be described using three independent equations, one for each axis. These equations are second-order differential equations known as the equations of motion.

What is the significance of the natural frequency in a 3d Harmonic Oscillator?

The natural frequency of a 3d Harmonic Oscillator is the frequency at which the system will oscillate without any external forces acting on it. It is an intrinsic property of the system and can be calculated using the mass and spring constant.

How does the energy of a 3d Harmonic Oscillator change over time?

The energy of a 3d Harmonic Oscillator is constant over time. As the mass oscillates back and forth, it exchanges potential energy (stored in the spring) and kinetic energy (associated with its motion), but the total energy remains the same.

How is a 3d Harmonic Oscillator different from a 1d or 2d Harmonic Oscillator?

A 3d Harmonic Oscillator is similar to a 1d and 2d Harmonic Oscillator in that they all exhibit harmonic motion. However, a 3d Harmonic Oscillator has three independent equations of motion and can oscillate along three axes, while a 1d and 2d Harmonic Oscillator only have one or two equations of motion, respectively.