1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The angle between two horizontal forces?

1. Oct 17, 2006 #1
    I need help with this problem (my work is at the bottom):

[​IMG]

Here is what I tried:

[tex]a_x[/tex] from graph = 3 m/s^2

[tex]Fnetx[/tex] = m* [tex]a_x[/tex]

[tex]F_n_e_t_x[/tex] = 3.9 N

[tex]F_n_e_t_x[/tex] = -3 + [tex]F_2*\cos(\theta)[/tex]

6.9 = 9.0*[tex]\cos(\theta)[/tex]

[tex]\cos(\theta)[/tex] = 0.7667
    [tex]\theta[/tex] = 39.9 degrees from x-axis
    degrees between forces = 180+39.9 = 219.9 degrees

This is wrong and I've been trying to figure out what to do for a long time so I'm hoping someone can help me out please? :confused: Thanks

Last edited: Oct 17, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2006 #2
    Typically you use the smaller angle between two things. Have you tried that?

4. Oct 17, 2006 #3

radou

Homework Helper

If the force F1 points in the negative x direction, and F2 has an angle of 39.9 with the positive x direction, then the angle between them is 90 + (90 - 39.9) = 180 - 39.9 = 140.1 degree, unless I missed something.

5. Oct 17, 2006 #4
    Yes, I believe that is right. However, I tried inputting 140 and it is incorrect. I am unsure if [tex]F_1[/tex] is actually going at 180 degrees. It only says it is going in the negative x direction? Also, I am unsure if I am setting up the equation correctly, and also if I am supposed to use [tex]F_2\cos(\theta)[/tex].

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

6. Oct 17, 2006 #5

radou

Homework Helper

Using [tex]F_{2} \cos(\theta)[/tex] is correct, since [tex]\vec{F}_{2}[/tex] makes some angle [tex]\theta[/tex] with the x axis. Further on, [tex]\vec{F}_{1}[/tex] is not 'going' at 180 degrees. It is a simple calculation of the angle between the two force vectors, and 180 arises in it.

7. Oct 17, 2006 #6
    Well I am not sure what I did wrong because neither 140 or 220 degrees is correct. Is the equation supposed to be [tex]F_n_e_t_x[/tex] = [tex]-F_1[/tex] + [tex]F_2\cos(\theta)[/tex]? Hopefully someone can show me where I went wrong

8. Oct 17, 2006 #7
    I also get that the angle between them is 140.06 degrees.

9. Oct 17, 2006 #8
    Thanks guys, the answer WAS 140 degrees :rofl: . I thought I had tried that answer before I tried 220, but I only tried 220 :grumpy: Thanks for making my physics experience a little better :rolleyes:

At least I understand why I got that answer now

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?