Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The antineutrino in Beta decay

1. Dec 29, 2008 #1
    I understand the physical changes in beta decay that eventually lead to the virtual particle, a W- boson being formed. However I do not understand the physical changes that take place, which eventually lead to an antineutrino being emitted. What changes take place in the W- boson, that make it decay into an antineutrino and electron?

I would also be glad if someone could explain why the physical changes take place?

Thanks in advance
    - Adam

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2008 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

I'm not sure that I understand what you mean. Also, you do understand that "a virtual particle being formed" is sort of a contradiction. The particle is virtual, not real. It's not formed.

4. Dec 29, 2008 #3
    By this do you mean that the antineutrino isn't really there after beta decay?
    If the production of an antineutrino is virtual, then would you be able to explain how?

Simply, I would like to understand why we have an antineutrino involved ,regardless of it being real or virtual.

Thanks for attempting the answer the question.
    -Adam

5. Dec 29, 2008 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

There is an antineutrino around to conserve spin (and other quantum numbers, like lepton number). If I have the decay [tex]n \rightarrow p + e^- + \overline{\nu}[/tex], I have a spin-1/2 object on the left hand side and without the neutrino, I have either a spin-0 or spin-1 ensemble on the right. I also have L = 0 on the left and L = 1 on the right. Finally, the energy spectrum of the electron is characteristic of three-body decays, not two body decays. For all of these reasons, one expects an additional particle produced, the antineutrino.

Of course, today those (anti-)neutrinos have been measured.

6. Dec 29, 2008 #5
    This has made me understand why it is necessary to produce an anti-neutrino in beta decay. So what are the spin and lepton values for the neutrino which help to create a balances on both sides of the decay?

Thank you for your time,
    -Adam

7. Dec 29, 2008 #6

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The neutrino is a spin 1/2 particle and a neutrino has lepton number +1 and an antineutrino has -1.

8. Dec 29, 2008 #7
    Thanks for this. I now understand how the anti-neutrino helps to balance things out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?