1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The (asserted) equivalence of first partial derivatives

1. Apr 11, 2015 #1
    In the solution to a differential-equation problem -- proof of the existence of an integrating factor -- the following statements are made regarding a general function "u(xy)" [that is, a function of two variable that depends exclusively on the single factor "x*y"]:

------------------------------------

"Let xy = t

Therefore ux = uy = ut"

-------------------------------------

I'm having a hard time seeing this as innately true. The first two functions are the partial derivatives of the function u, with respect to the two variables. If one takes a simple function like u(xy) = 3xy, then the first partial derivatives are:

ux = 3y and uy = 3x; and similarly, if one addresses the substituted variable, ut = 3.

And these are not equal.

Now I certainly see, given t = xy, that dt/dx = y and dt/dy = x. This leads to dx/dt = 1/y and dy/dt = 1/x.

Using this, one can show ut = (du/dx)(dx/dt) = (3y)(1/y) = 3. Similarly for the equivalency of ut = (du/dy)(dy/dt).

But I'm not seeing how this translates into ux = uy = ut?

And it is this exact equivalence that is used further down in the proof (which is why I care).

Thanks in advance for helping me see what I'm missing.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2015 #2

wabbit

Gold Member

Seems weird. Assuming ## u_x ## means ## \frac{\partial}{\partial x}u(x,y) ## etc. then as you find, ## u_x=y u_t ## and ## u_y=x u_t ##.

4. Apr 12, 2015 #3
    Perhaps you could post the entire problem or differential equation? From what you've given so far they're not equal, but perhaps we're missing some other condition or assumption

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted