Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Boltzmann distribution of uniformly spaced energy levels

1. Feb 25, 2008 #1
    The question states:
    A system has energy levels uniformly spaced at 3.2x10^-10 J apart. Thepopulations of the energy levels are given by the Boltzmann distribution. What fraction of particles is in the ground state at T=300K.

I know that the Boltzmann distribution is:
    [tex]_{}p*[/tex]j=probability that a particle is in state j
    =exp(-[tex]_{}E[/tex]j/KT) / [tex]\sum[/tex]exp(-[tex]_{}E[/tex]j/KT)

I created my own expression for the energy state Ej:
    [tex]_{}E[/tex]j=3.2x10^-20(j-1)
    My thought process behind this was that to get the energy state of each level you have to multiply by the space between each level times 1 minus the level. In other words, E1=0*3.2x10^-20, E2=1(3.2x10^-10)...etc.

I set this pj* equal to: # particles in ground state (g) / # states (t)
    Assuming that the particles in the ground state would have energy E=0 I plugged all of the given values into the equation: T=300, Ej=0, K=boltzmann's constant. Because the problem did not give the number of states my answer is in terms of t. I got an answer of:
    -0.25875/(1+t)
    Obviously this is wrong because you cannot have a negative number of particles.

ANY IDEA WHAT I'VE DONE WRONG??!?!?
    thanks in advance for any help

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2008 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your Boltzmann distribution function has a couple of minus signs missing.

4. Feb 25, 2008 #3
    I'm sorry, you are correct. The post has been edited. It was a typo, but the answer I got still stands.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?